Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with Wilson N Code Six One Tour Racket

Hi John

I'm currently playing with Wilson N Code Six One Tour racket and it was great iterm of ball controlling.

However, it made my hand pain during the past 2 months.

Any suggestion on that ? More physical training or change to the new racket (if that, which type could be right ?)

BTW, I'm 178cm and 70kg

Thanks

Which strings, tension? your problem might be there.

I have some reservations about this racket, as it comes from the same family as 6.1 classic or HPS 6.1, known culprits in terms of arm pain.

Some people say it's not harsh, but you should take your experience as a
    basis. Suggest thinking about a POG or a Wilson 6.0 95, or some Volkls in the same weight range.

Check the links I provided at:

Also my posting at:
    Great fitness sites

Should work your arm and shoulder (surgical tubing exercises, etc,), and watch your technique.
    Last edited by marius hancu; 05-06-2005, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Size is 90' , string tension is 25.5kg

I'm not sure if I should make it more like 26.5kg ?

Comment

Originally posted by coldsamurai
        Size is 90' , string tension is 25.5kg

I'm not sure if I should make it more like 26.5kg ?
        I asked which string type? Also, is that poly or multi?
        Suggest multis for arm problems.

25.5Kg is about 56lbs, that's not too much, but it depends. If you have harsh strings like Luxilon ...

But if you have arm problems I don't see any rationale for increasing the tension, on the contrary. Stiffer stringbeds make for more arm problems

Comment

also, where's your pain?
          wrist, elbow (inside or outside), shoulder?

Comment

I'm gonna rely on other here. AJ? Scott M. Never hit a ball with an NCode and racket tech isn't my thing.

The only thing I will say is that for myself, at age 52--and I felt this long before--superstiff rackets and rackets that were too light definitely HURT.

Myself I like medium flex, oversize head, about 12.5 ounces, and head light, strung with something soft like Sensation Next 17.

Remember it's the player not the racket--all you gearheads out there...

Comment

Agreed, it is the player, not the equipment.

Hand pain, hmm? Well, that is different from the more common elbow/wrist/shoulder thing most people feel. You could be holding the handle too tightly. Or maybe you've got the wrong size grip.

That said, you are not the only one who feels some pain, somewhere. The n90 is on the stiff side for such a thin beamer. For most, this frame begs for a multifilament string at a lower tension than most people would normally use on other frames....and some lead at 3:00, 9:00 and in the handle.

I still think it's got something to do with the grip.

Enjoy it, it is a great stick!

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell

Remember it's the player not the racket--all you gearheads out there...
                I beg to differ. I recently switched from Ti Radical to Wilson H Tour. These are the improvements that I've seen in my game.

(a) I serve less double faults in my matches. As an older person, who tires easily on court and no coaching; my technique is far from superior. Ti Radical's even balance, is not that forgiving when my arm starts to weaken. While the Wilson's lightness and 1 point head heavy allow me to follow through smoother.

(b) My double backhand also improves a lot. In fact, I enjoy hitting it so much I would sometimes run around a slow enough ball to hit it with my double backhand. Why? The racquet is light enough for me not to get tired hitting the shots.

Are all these placebo effects? I don't know. I just know that changing from that Ti Radical to Wilson H Tour make me want to play more as the percentage of my shots that go in increases.

Peace.

Comment

I agree technique is most important - but the frame/string have got to match your ability to generate racquet head speed. You can't hit an NCode 90 if you don't get ready early - better off with a tweener. In golf, Tiger went a year without winning a tournament until he gave in and went to a 460cc, graphite shaft driver from his outdated 330cc steel shaft - even he was giving up too much advantage to the other tour players. It may be the Indian and not the arrow, but if your bow has too much tension for you to pull it back comfortably, your aim will be affected. Norm Cash was never a good baseball hitter until he followed Hank Aaron's example and went from a 36oz to a very light 30oz bat.

Comment

Man, you guys really know your shtuff.

But, Tweener Schmeener!
                    I'm ova the hill and I hit with a 13.5 ounce midsize. I'd use Max 200G Dunlops or Maxply Forts if I could find the sons of bitches.

Anyway, players, go for the touch and control. Get a heavy, flexible stick like Yandell says. String it loose with natural gut. That's calf intestines for all you vegans. Spend yer money on good socks and shoes. Play everyday on clay and grass. Play like you mean it. Play forever.

Comment

Relax your grip

I'm playing with Head iPrestige MP, Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power @ 62. Sometimes I feel pain in the base of my thumb. Just between the base of the thumb and the wrist. It happens when I hold the racquet too tight. Relaxing the grip is the solution for this problem. By the way, relaxing the grip is also better for hitting with pace, topspin and control.

Comment

If it's just hand pain you're experiencing, maybe the grip is the wrong size for you. Try adjusting it. Also, brand new rackets (in my experience) sometimes have vibrations for a time, and these usually disappear fairly shortly. Try a soft overgrip as well.

Comment

I recently switched to a Wilson N-Code 6 from a Wilson H-5. The N-code 6 DOES feel a bit more "harsh" than the H-5. I added an extra dampener (aside from the one that comes with the racquet) and that helped some. Next time I get it strung, I'm going to try softer strings. (I'm currently using Wilson Endurance and Xtreme - or something like that). For the most part, I like the racquets a lot. However, my volley skills HAVE gone into the tank. I'm assuming they'll return as I get used to the racquet.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8727 users online. 4 members and 8723 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X