• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string tension

what do you guys use?

same tension in crosses and mains?

tighter in mains than crosses?

tighter in crosses than mains? this became my choice after years of going tighter in mains. my new stringer guy strung two rackets and didn't tell me which was which but marked them so that he would know. after 5 minutes i tossed the racket that was tighter in mains and also the racket that was same all the way through for the one that was tighter by 2 lbs in the crosses. blind study works for me.

Originally posted by carrerakent View Post
    what do you guys use?

same tension in crosses and mains?

tighter in mains than crosses?

tighter in crosses than mains? this became my choice after years of going tighter in mains. my new stringer guy strung two rackets and didn't tell me which was which but marked them so that he would know. after 5 minutes i tossed the racket that was tighter in mains and also the racket that was same all the way through for the one that was tighter by 2 lbs in the crosses. blind study works for me.
    I have not tried that yet, but have considered it. Sort of makes sense, as the crosses going in will tighten up the mains some. If the crosses go in tighter, it should compensate for the tension added to the mains to some extent I would expect.

How would you describe the difference in play?

Comment

i didn't know it but picked up the one with the mains tighter first (A). it felt normal because that is what i typically play with. after i picked the other one (B) up, (A) felt mushy of sorts. i went back to (A) and noticed that my shots had more pop, more depth, and a harder bite or drop down to the court as the top spin overcame the velocity. i also think there is a little more feel. my stringer was watching and he said that from the side he could see a significant difference in the action of the ball...he nor I still did not know which was which until i finished and we went over and looked at the markings.

the stringer said that he tested the string bed of each racket right after stringing and the one (B) with the crosses tighter had a 2 lb tighter string bed.

it makes sense that i the ball would come off the strings faster because of the more loose mains and the tighter crosses contributed increased feel.

Comment

Originally posted by carrerakent View Post
        i went back to (A) and noticed that my shots had more pop, more depth, and a harder bite or drop down to the court as the top spin overcame the velocity. i also think there is a little more feel.
        You mean you went back to B instead of A here right?

Comment

Originally posted by airforce1 View Post
          You mean you went back to B instead of A here right?
          sorry...meant i went back to A and noticed that B had more of all of that than A did.

Comment

thought that is what you meant, but was just making sure.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8048 users online. 5 members and 8043 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X