playing my game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playing my game

I am a 4.0 player and I like to hit hard, i noticed anytime I play against someone who hit slow or lower ranks I end up playing my worse game. It feels like I am playing just like 2.5 player. How can I overcome that? should I avoid plaing under my ranking?

in my experience that is a very common outcome when people play someone with an off pace ball, a so called "pusher", or simply a lower level player. you are definitely not alone here. do not play at a lower level... it will not make you better.

my first question: can you maintain a cross court rally off either side with a player at your level?

second question: when you play matches and when you practice (or just hit/rally) do you only react to the other persons shots, or do you have a game plan? in other words, is there a pattern or method to what you intend?

third question: do you know where to be in order to hit the shots you intend. your body position, alignment for the target you intend to hit?

Comment

Never avoid players you don't like playing, play them more. And it's very important to get good at dispatching weaker opposition.

The key is to start well against weaker players. Try to get off to a 3-1 lead or better. This is for two reasons:

1. Once you open up a gap you'll become more confident and play better

2. You'll tend to break you're opponent mentally straight away by gaining a good start. Otherwise if he stays with you game-for-game he'll start to consider himself as good a player as you, and this is always dangerous.

Federer is the greatest player of all time when it comes to blowing away weaker opposition, no question.
      Last edited by tcuk; 08-11-2009, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I agree with tcuk, to improve you must play against all kinds of players as well as all levels. If you can't beat a 3.0 that pushes you are not really a 4.0. In the 80's I had a practice plan that Chris Evert printed in Tennis Mag (if my memory is still good). The article was talking about what to work on and how much to practice against players at your level, below your level and above your level. If I remember correctly it was 50% at your level, 25% against lower leve and 25% above your level. When playing lower players work on your weakness: hit top spin if you slice, attack if you like to stay back, and so on. Against even players work on winning and concentrating. Against better players learn what you need to work on!

Comment

corvett,

i'm anxious to hear your responses to my questions in my first response.

and, although the uspta guys advice is good, it won't do any good at all unless you determine why you are playing worse against weaker players. without understanding the root cause, everything else is a band-aid.

for example, if you walk onto the court with a 3.5 and think to yourself, "i can kill this guy." then because you've set yourself up for failure and you are playing poorly you tell yourself, "i should be killing this guy", it does not matter how often you play 3.5s, doesn't matter how much technique you work on or different strategies, you will always play poorly.

do you think or tell yourself that you should be able to beat people, or do you just play the ball. although the ball is different from each player, it is still just a ball. if you are creating other obstacles based upon who is on the other side of the net then those obstacles are real. very real.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8133 users online. 4 members and 8129 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X