Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a weekend to digest those articles

Originally posted by oliensis View Post
    I recommend that anyone w/ questions about knee bend and the serve ought to read Brian Gordon's excellent series on the serve:

In essence, according to Mr. Gordon, leg drive is significantly responsible for initiating the series of actions that result in racquet-head acceleration via what he calls" motion-dependent" effects.

BTW, if you watch Doc Gooden pitch in old videos, you can see that from certain angles he actually "jumps." I.e., his left foot doesn't land until his right foot actually is OFF the pitching rubber.

Moreover, I don't think that servers w/ strong leg action are actually jumping. They are driving up into the ball and the RESULT of the leg drive, because it is vertical, is that they end up off the ground. Different than a "jump" per se.

Here's what a jump serve looks like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vEBX9Tw9PY
    Brian's articles are great. I think I need a weekend seminar with him to fully digest all the information that is there, even with my engineering degree and doctorate in chiropractic. But I'm still going to come back to the fact that the motion is way too complicated to mess up with a jump until you have the basic motion down absolutely perfect. He makes it exceedingly clear that power comes from the ground up. I don't think you should be trying to leave the ground until you can serve really well and consistently while still on it.

Moreover, all of this is great, but we come back to the usual scenario of how we use biomechanics to figure out how to hit the ball harder. The number one player in the world can't get the ball over the net and into the box. She doesn't need more leg action. She needs a way to be able to repeat her motion consistently inspite of fatigue or pressure. That's where we get into the other function of the long backswing. Letting the racket swing back under tthe force of gravity creates the synchronising mechanism that holds this whole thing together. The abbreviated motion may or may not be less wear and tear on the shoulder, but it certainly doesn't have the easy repeatability of a gravity-fueled full backswing. If your rhythm is great without that (Roddick), then fine. But if you don't have a sound rhythm to your toss, the long backswing gives you a simple way to establish an always available, consistent timing mechanism to start your motion off. Your body says, "Oh, I remember that feeling. I know how to do that." It relaxes and repeats the motion in synch with the speed the racket gets from gravity and gravity never changes!

But even if you don't like the gravity drop backswing, it still comes down to having a rock that works like a lynchpin to hold everything together. The rhythm of the toss and the rock have to match. Anytime you see an opponent with multiple pieces or rhythms to their backswing on their toss, know that you need to step up on 2nd serves to put more pressure on them. They will break down and give you free points!

Come on. Who else would like to see a 2 day seminar from Brian Gordon during Indian Wells?!

don

Comment

Monfils vs Sharapova

A serve of Monfils provided in

see as well

Any comments comparing serves of Monfils and Sharapova?
      Comparison of vertical drops would be interesting.

post #3 would be of interest as well.

julian mielniczuk
      usptapro 27873
      Last edited by uspta146749877; 09-03-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Sharapova serve slower than 110 miles per hour

I did NOT see a match of yesterday but
        in previous matches the Sharapova's serve was slower than 110 miles per hour.
        I am NOT sure whether it would be good enough to win US Open.

julian mielniczuk
        usptapro 27873
        Courtside Tennis Club,Bedford,NA

juliantennis@comcast.net
        Last edited by uspta146749877; 09-04-2009, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Maria's serve stats

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post
          I did NOT see a match of yesterday but
          in previous matches the Sharapova's serve was slower than 110 miles per hour.
          I am NOT sure whether it would be good enough to win US Open.

julian mielniczuk
          usptapro 27873
          Courtside Tennis Club,Bedford,NA

juliantennis@comcast.net
          I haven't looked at last night's match either, but I'm surprised, Julian, to see you hadn't checked the USOpen.org stats on serves. They list quite a bit by 6 different spots in the two service boxes (deuce/ad rt/middle/left). In Sharapova's 2 USOpen matches her fastest serve is ONLY 110, but her average is well over 105 in most spots and her average 2nd serve is well into the 90's. Her winning percentage on second serve when she doesn't double fault is pretty high. She even got one second serve in over 100mph. Power is not her problem. That's pretty high speed for the women's game.

don

Comment

Sorry being brief

Originally posted by uspta990770809 View Post
            I haven't looked at last night's match either, but I'm surprised, Julian, to see you hadn't checked the USOpen.org stats on serves. They list quite a bit by 6 different spots in the two service boxes (deuce/ad rt/middle/left). In Sharapova's 2 USOpen matches her fastest serve is ONLY 110, but her average is well over 105 in most spots and her average 2nd serve is well into the 90's. Her winning percentage on second serve when she doesn't double fault is pretty high. She even got one second serve in over 100mph. Power is not her problem. That's pretty high speed for the women's game.

don
            We shall see whether serve will matter against sisters.
            In this case serves against forehands matter the most.
            Sisters do hit 120-125 pretty easy
            Sorry being brief-too much work

Comment

Not betting against Serena

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post
              We shall see whether serve will matter against sisters.
              In this case serves against forehands matter the most.
              Sisters do hit 120-125 pretty easy
              Sorry being brief-too much work
              I wouldn't take anyone against Serena here, but even Oudin could give Venus trouble with her leg bothering her and cutting down her mobility. Look at the stats on her average 1st and 2nd serve speeds. Not as good as one might think. Rhythm is weak. 2nd is too slow... Serena is a different story.

Only as good as your second serve or as one of the commentators said today, in the women's game, as your second serve return. This is where Venus gets even! And ahead

Don't worry about apologizing for responses. A lot of us still have to work.

don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8569 users online. 5 members and 8564 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X