X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dementieva's serve

Wow, what an improvement for this lady.
    Her serve was the best I've seen it for her,
    even with all the wind today against Serena.

Pinpoint to platform--ball toss a little more to her left--more toward the male model like Fed. Could push that toss a little further left even, esp in deuce.

Comment

I don't have vid of the new platform, as I didn't tivo that last match, but I'm willing to bet the new platform approach is helping her to stay sideways longer.
      Looking at her vid in stroke archive, IMO she was getting hips and shoulders square to target way too soon in the stroke. I think this leads to pushing the serve out at the target in a manner that leads to serving long. If you adjust for serving long with this style, seems you just adjust down into the net. Anyone else notice this?

Comment

yep. it's one big diff with the women in general, more open at contact.

Comment

Reverting under pressure

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Pinpoint to platform--ball toss a little more to her left--more toward the male model like Fed. Could push that toss a little further left even, esp in deuce.
          She still reverted to the toss to the right, esp. on the 2nd serve, down at the critical end of the match. For what the ladies gain from their second serves, it seems a lot more emphasis on accuracy and consistency would pay off; ie, they could put a little more arc in the serve.

But I think a large part of the problem is the deliberate nature of the toss and the pieces that are operated from the left side of her brain, instead of letting the rhythm of her rock take her through the motion.

Nevertheless, great to see her doing so well. She sets such a good example of working hard, being fit and seeming to demonstrate such good sportsmanship; it's very hard not to pull for her against almost anyone.

don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9683 users online. 4 members and 9679 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X