X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Read this gem of an interview with Safin after his loss to Ferrero

Press Conference with MARAT SAFIN
    Ferrero vs. Safin 4:6, 6:4, 6:2

Q: What was your conversation with the umpire?

A: Because I served, nobody called anything and I played the point and won it. Suddenly he went down, checked the mark and said this ball is out and I have to replay the point. I asked him why, I finished it already. It doesn’t matter. You can’t overrule because the point is finished. Then the second thing was that Ferrero said something, the linesman said something that I didn’t hear. So, I started to argue, asking normal questions. Ferrero’s coach was coaching every second ball and I didn’t say anything to the chair umpire. Once when I am discussing the point which is normal because it was a break point and really important to me, he come to the chair umpire – he didn’t even come to me, but the chair umpire has to tell me that I have to play. I mean what kind of person is that. I grew up with the guy basically. We know each other for eleven years. And the guy is doing this to me. I don’t think it’s really polite from his part. Of course he will tell you his part of the story. But I don’t think, with all the respect to him, you have to act like a gentleman. I have the right to discuss. It’s not like I’m complaining about every single point like some other players. I’ve been fair to everybody since I am on the tour. So for once that I have a discussion with the chair umpire, I think I’m allowed to do that. Especially because I think that I’m right. I’m not trying to cheat anybody. I’m just asking
    and trying to prove my point. That’s it.

Q: What was Ferrero saying?

A: Well, he just came to the chair umpire. He didn’t even say excuse me. He was just hitting the tower, the umpire looked down. He just said “make him shut up and play”.

Q: What did the umpire say?

A: Of course, the guy doesn’t know what to do. But first of all if you are polite and a normal person, you respect the players and you respect me, you say “Marat listen, sorry I said this and this. The ball is like this or like that”. No problem. I don’t have a problem with anybody. Even we didn’t discuss the marks because I trust him and always trusted him.
    So I didn’t need to call the chair umpire to go and check his marks. Never. I would never do it. If he came and said this is the story. Fair enough, we continue playing. But not give me this attitude like kids of 14 years. He said this, he did that … I was quiet when he was getting the coaching. I didn’t go to the umpire.

Q: So what did you say to Ferrero after the match?

A: It’s okay because otherwise it wouldn’t feel right, because I lost the match and I’m complaining to him. It’s not the proper moment. He should realise himself. He’s 25 years old, a little bit grown up, he made a lot of tournaments and we’ve known each other for 11 years. I don’t need to cheat anybody. I’m trying to win the match. I’m trying to play nice. And everybody is happy. But no, the coach told Ferrero to tell the umpire that I need to shut up and play.

Q: You heard that?

A: Yes, it was like this. Then after the match my coach came to me and said that the coach of Ferrero was going to the supervisor telling him that I should play, so that he puts pressure on me because I am slowing down the match. Come on: who is trying to stop the match? It’s really pissing me of. I complained yes.

Q: In this circumstances, how hard is it for you to keep a levelled head and try and play the way you want to play?

A: Well, I’m trying. And I think I played some decent tennis today. I lost my opportunity at the beginning of the second set. I lost the first game and everything changed. If I had been 1:0 ahead, then it would have been a completely different match. The way I’m playing, I’m playing quite well. The conditions are really tough because the ball is slow,
    the court is slow. So it suits him perfectly. No matter how hard I hit, he was getting the balls back.

Q: I remember you sitting here last year and saying that for Paris …
    A: No, I’m on the right way. I should play this way. I know the past few weeks I was not playing right. That’s why I lost. This week I played the way I should play. Maybe come in a little bit more, but it’s also difficult against a player like Ferrero because he really passes well. So, I really need to prepare well and be fast going to the net. But it was a good match, I was hitting the ball well. Otherwise I have no complaints. It was just that incident that didn’t hurt me, but bothered me.

Q: What are you going to now? Prepare for paris?

A: No, I’m going to go home, because I wasn’t home for a month. I will try to have some rest for four days. Then Monday I’m going to Paris. Then it’s all the week to start getting ready, make a lot of fitness, start to work hard. And hope for the best and for a good draw. A couple of easy first rounds to get the confidence, to get the groove. And then it’s going to be a different story.

Q: Was your foot bothering you?

A: Well, the guy was trying too hart, I couldn’t feel my toes (laughs). I preferred to remake it.

Q: As things stand do you feel you have a chance in Paris?

A: It’s a different story. Of course there are a lot of favourites. There’s Nadal, Coria, many other players. It’s going to be tough. But it’s a different courts, better than some other players, the bounce is great, no problem. Especially for me since I play a bit closer to the line and take the ball early. So if the bounce is not there, it’s difficult for me to play my game. Because I need to wait and I make a step back. Then it’s a completely different game. The balls are a bit different. The whole scenario, 5-set matches. Let’s see.

Q: The Australian experience proved to you that there is no reason why should not win a Grand Slam

A: Well, the hope is there.

Having watched a few of Ferrero's matches I can attest to the fact that he gets a lot of coaching from his box. Guillermo Canas takes it to an extreme. In a match against Henman this year, I belive at Indian Wells, his coach seemed to be tipping off Henman's serve. But let's be completely fair--almost all the tour players do this. It is probably why McEnroe, if he were to become commissioner, would actually allow timeouts for coaching.

Hmm...Mac for commissioner? You cannot be serious. I don't think it'd be a good idea. I think it was Joel Drucker who said that you can't have the game's biggest mouth be in a position that requires excellent mediation and listening skills. Not to mention a deft approach to public relations (not just around the net).

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8513 users online. 7 members and 8506 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X