Straight elbow position for girls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight elbow position for girls?

I wanted to see what opinions there were for teaching a young girl the straight arm forehand. Is this a good or bad idea? Is this something that is physically going to be too difficult to perform? Are there examples of straight arm forehands in the women's pro game?

Bethanie Mattek-Sands

Originally posted by shiuey View Post
    I wanted to see what opinions there were for teaching a young girl the straight arm forehand. Is this a good or bad idea? Is this something that is physically going to be too difficult to perform? Are there examples of straight arm forehands in the women's pro game?
    Bethanie Mattek-Sands
    Magdalena Rybarikova

Jeff Counts knows more names probably.
    Last edited by uspta146749877; 10-29-2009, 03:09 PM.

Comment

A reference

See

post #148 as well

Comment

I never set out to teach straight arm or double dend. I just let nature take its course. I believe this is the only route a coach can/should take.

Comment

Justine Henin is a great example. I think it's a bad idea to purposefully teach this style. You could increase the bend in the elbow, but to go completely straight I think is not a great idea.

This style is almost non-exist in the women's side and rare on the men's side.

Comment

tcuk...you are exactly right. you don't teach one or the other. a truly good coach should know how to properly teach the player to set up to a ball and how to maximize all of the natural elements of a stroke...the result, they WILL hit with a straight or almost straight arm. i guarantee it.

unfortunately the "famous" ones among us believe that the masses are the genius' of the world and we should all follow the example of bad mechanics, bad distance to the ball, incorrect muscle usage, etc and therefore hit a ball like everyone else. that reasoning does work very well if insanity is the teacher.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2507 users online. 13 members and 2494 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X