• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Across approach shot drills

See www.uspta.org
    a tip of the week

Approaching crosscourt?

My players will be glad to see Emilio's students across the net employing a crosscourt approach!

Comment

That's the first thing that came to mind when I watched that clip as well. And if you're going to approach cross court, do you really then want to volley back at the guy, hitting a volley from on top of the net down the line? Sure, if it's a first volley from a deep position, then volley down the line to cut off the angles you make available, but approaching cross court and then volleying down the line seems like a succession of 2 less-than brilliant ideas.

One more thing...if you're going to drill from the basket, why not put the feeder/instructor some place where his shot will at least somewhat replicate the shot that will be coming at the student? Otherwise the student practices hitting incoming balls that are unlike any balls he will ever play in a live situation.

Comment

Originally posted by uspta990770809 View Post
        My players will be glad to see Emilio's students across the net employing a crosscourt approach!
        Interesting you guys see it that way. I feel that is the beauty of working approaches off balls in the middle 1/3 of the court. Yes the stroke is crosscourt, but being near court center, the path is very court central and leaves options to approach to either side.

Comment

Originally posted by airforce1 View Post
          Interesting you guys see it that way. I feel that is the beauty of working approaches off balls in the middle 1/3 of the court. Yes the stroke is crosscourt, but being near court center, the path is very court central and leaves options to approach to either side.
          True...if those feeds were in the middle of the court, but in this case they are in the middle third that could also be part of the outside third...not clearly in the center, but on the outside edge of your center third... I would go along with maybe the middle fifth or certainly sixth of the court, but then Emilio's little pattern would be a little crowded!

Couldn't the same pattern work with a down-the-line approach and a crosscourt volley off the down-the-line return of that approach... well, at least it would work with my "Twins". The drill is artificial anyway with the feeder standing in one spot...you might as well do it following the correct approach strategy

don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2611 users online. 7 members and 2604 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X