Forehand Troubleshooting - Depth Errors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin,

Yep...same affliction for experimentation. It's why I love this game so much.

In searching for answers to my questions on arc and depth control, I ended up going back to working on some of the more fundamental components of the stroke. What I have found confirms what you already figured out. It is possible to flatten out the swing path and still generate big topspin. If the racquet head drops below the ball and is accelerated up through contact, you'll get spin.

The problem I was having was that the racquet face was also opening as it dropped below the level of the ball. Therefore, as it accelerated upwards, it really lifted to ball. Part of this comes from having an extremely loose wrist, but other parts (specific to my issues) are related to some more fundamental issues with the entire stroke.

Your comment on the dip drive is also right on the money. I could never figure out how to create that ball until I stopped letting the racquet drop so far below the level of the ball before contact. I could always hit the arc ball or the 'academy ball', but I'm only now just starting to scratch the surface with some of these other options.

One final theory of mine on how these factors work together: with any extreme low-to-high path, whether it comes from hand action or shoulder lift, the racquet face angle's impact on shot trajectory is magnified...especially if there is big acceleration involved at impact.

Comment

Originally posted by rosheem View Post

The problem I was having was that the racquet face was also opening as it dropped below the level of the ball. Therefore, as it accelerated upwards, it really lifted to ball. Part of this comes from having an extremely loose wrist, but other parts (specific to my issues) are related to some more fundamental issues with the entire stroke.
      Had an even worse problem with opening the racket face in my forehand back swing loop, but went *decades* without being able to figure it out. It wasn't until I drove up to Cincinnati and had Brian Gordon hook me up to his magnets that it was finally diagnosed. Interestingly, it was the *next* day, after he had gone over the magnet findings and was going through a typical forehand lesson that he picked up on it. It actually had nothing to do with the computer part of the experience.

However, the computer part *did* pick up on how far I dropped my hand in my forehand loop, which led to my ultra steep upward forward swing. I've posted this URL before about why I think I got into that habit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mentalb...7600094800395/. I worshiped Vic Braden at the time that I was learning to play.

Interestingly, there was a short period of time where I both raised the level of my racket head *and* kept the face (what felt like) very "closed" (though it may not have been closed at all) through impact, and was able to cream the fellow in singles who otherwise beats me 90% of the time. It psyched me up so much that I started entering senior tournaments. Was never able to get over the old muscle memory, though, before the wrist gave out and had to go to all slice. Still having fun with doubles, though.

Kevin

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2428 users online. 5 members and 2423 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X