Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Through before up

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
    This is such a good observation. I have found that is so easy to teach a kid to turn the ball over (up and across the ball) after they first learn to move through the ball. The reverse progression is much harder, especially with stronger grips.
    I have always been a huge naysayer for the wiper forehands that seem to predominate the game in recent years, especially among the young kids coming up without hitting through the ball. I have always insisted my players learn to hit through the ball. I felt they had the advantage when they played the other juniors because their shots had "pace" and penetrated through the court. I was certainly still pushing a circular motion from below the ball to above it with lots of topspin, but I wanted more of a classic follow through before I even let them follow through up over their shoulder, much less next to their ear.

But recently, after looking at Federer hitting so many balls with a followthrough almost to the elbow if not at least to the opposite tricep, after looking carefully at the opening graphic of Nalbandian on hi-techtennis.com, and yes, even after considering the idea behind the Topspin Trainer, I started having my students try the follow through to the opposite tricep, ala Nalbandian cited here. Note this is only after having them work on hitting through more classically for thousands and thousands of balls; and I insist they use no wrist in the motion (flexion/extension at least), so much so that I will have them hit it with the SquareHit device. But having established some understanding of hitting through first, I am having great success with introducing this more "modern" forehand. And it's been a great help in getting players out of hitting the ball with wrist flexion through contact; otherwise, a very difficult habit to break.

I think this is a much more important question that "bent/bent vs straight-arm".

And I agree, it is much harder to turn the kid that hits a wiper action without any weight on the shot to hit through the ball.

don brosseau

Comment

There is a different school of thought where it is believed that hitting through the ball comes naturally, and that the more aggresive the stroke is, the bigger the backswing will be and the more through the ball the racquet will go naturally. Thus, if the primary visualization is "up" with a view to imparting as much spin as possible, the number of unforced errors (balls hitting the net or going long) will be less than if the primary motivation is to hit "through" - especially during the more aggressive rallies. This jives with a comment from Sampras (sorry, I don't have the reference) where he says that when he is off and has to gather himself, he tries to hit more spin.

Personally, I learned "through" first but I can certainly appreciate the "up before through" school. I am trying to think that way now.

Regarding the topspin trainer, I suppose it could be a very effective tool in solidifying the "up" component of muscle memory. "Through" will come naturally as one rotates the shoulders and swings the racquet in an actual stroke. But I am not going to be coughing up $120 for it anytime soon...

Comment

Ken Flach should be banned from TV for showing that kind of swing on a forehand. All he is gonna do is hurt kids arms and wrists.

Comment

I was wondering about this too. I am indeed a member on Jeff Counts site and find it intriguing. He approaches tennis technique in a fascinating way and really emphasises it's importance. He seems to think this device will be worthwhile however and the first time I saw it, as with you guys, the first thought that came into my head was "Extension". Would love to hear John's view on this device.

Comment

I share the questions about what this does to the feel for extension. Also, although some pro players hit some forehands (usually shoulder high forehands) with the face slightly closed, not sure this angle applies to lower level players. On the plus side it definitely gives you the wiper feel. So I think it could be helpful but only if the player understands what part of the swing it is replicating.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8081 users online. 4 members and 8077 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X