Federer denied 4th Basel title in row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer denied 4th Basel title in row

BASEL, Switzerland -- Top-ranked Roger Federer lost his hometown tournament on Sunday, falling 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 to Novak Djokovic in the Swiss Indoors

Djokovic earned his fourth title of the season with a victory that ended Federer's run of three straight titles at the tournament where he was once a ballboy.

"It's disappointing to lose at home in the finals, no doubt," Federer said. "I thought I missed plenty of opportunities. I'm not looking for excuses. He played tough and he played well when he had to, and saved a ton of break points that were crucial."

Djokovic improved to 3-2 this year against Federer, and said the top-ranked Swiss pushed him to his limits.

"I have to produce something special to win," Djokovic said at sold-out St. Jakobshalle.

The second-seeded Serb clinched the first set by saving five break points in a game that lasted 24 minutes.

Djokovic
    Julian Finney/Getty ImagesNovak Djokovic improved to 3-2 against Roger Federer this year.

"It may be the longest I have ever played in my life," Djokovic said. "It was maybe the turning point in the whole match. I was fortunate to keep my nerves."

Federer fought back from a break down to win the second set and rouse his partisan fans, but Djokovic raced to a 4-0 lead in the decider and closed out the victory after Federer wasted three break points in the sixth game.

It was a tour-leading 71st win this year for Djokovic, who improved to 4-5 in finals in 2009. His other title wins were at Dubai, his home event at Belgrade, and Beijing last month.

Federer is 59-9 this year after losing only his third match since May.

The first set went with serve, until Federer was broken for the first time in the tournament to trail 5-4. Then came that tense, error-strewn game that featured 11 deuces before Djokovic took his seventh set-point chance.

Federer dropped serve again to open the second set, sending another forehand into the net. But he won his next service game, then broke his opponent for the first time when a drop shot grazed the net cord before falling in play.

He broke Djokovic's serve again to win the set when the 22-year-old Serb sent a forehand into the net. Djokovic rallied immediately in the decider, Federer dropping two straight service games for the second time in the match.

Trailing 4-1, Federer held three break points at 0-40 but was let down again by his groundstrokes as Djokovic reeled off five straight points. Djokovic needed just one match point to clinch, as Federer mistimed a backhand from the baseline.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Interviev by Oudin

Comment

Seems that Djokovic found a hole in Federer's game that Del Potro also found in New York. I remember watching Agassi play him in Houston (I think) and he did it a few times, but not consistently. The hole seems to be when Federer receives a very hard, flat-ish, low ball to a wide-ish forehand. He has trouble w/ that ball.

So, the high backhand and the skidding low wide-ish forehand.

That's what I perceive.
      Thoughts?

Comment

Ushape of takeback of serve vs V shape

What are biomechanical advantages of a V shape of takeback of serve comparing
        to a U shape?

As we see Djokovic is using more of a U shape lately

julian mielniczuk
        uspta certified pro 27873 juliantennis@comcast.net

Courtside Tennis Club,Bedford,MA
        Last edited by uspta146749877; 11-09-2009, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post
          What are biomechanical advantages of a V shape of takeback of serve comparing
          to a U shape?

As we see Djokovic is using more of a U shape lately

julian mielniczuk
          uspta certified pro 27873 juliantennis@comcast.net

Courtside Tennis Club,Bedford,MA
          do you mean by u shape more circular( philipousis, macenroe) the traditional type take back? and the v being delayed type more sampras like?

Comment

A link below

Originally posted by llll View Post
            do you mean by u shape more circular( philipousis, macenroe) the traditional type take back? and the v being delayed type more sampras like?
            A link below is a part of an answer

Comment

2H backhand better for high balls?

Originally posted by oliensis View Post
              Seems that Djokovic found a hole in Federer's game that Del Potro also found in New York. I remember watching Agassi play him in Houston (I think) and he did it a few times, but not consistently. The hole seems to be when Federer receives a very hard, flat-ish, low ball to a wide-ish forehand. He has trouble w/ that ball.

So, the high backhand and the skidding low wide-ish forehand.

That's what I perceive.
              Thoughts?
              2H backhand better for high balls?

Comment

Djokovic's serve

Originally posted by llll View Post
                Larry,
                you may want to see

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2556 users online. 14 members and 2542 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X