Interactive Forum December 2009: Steffi Graf Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum December 2009: Steffi Graf Forehand

Undoubtedly, it is one of the legendary shots in the game of tennis. Like Stefan Edberg, however, Steffi had escaped Tennisplayer's cameras, having retired before our site pioneered high speed filming in pro tennis.

Escaped til now, that is. So what is classic and what is modern in this stroke? Take a look at Steffi's turn. See her hit a variety of finishes. What does the video show about the timing of her contact--something that has always been a subject of debate among student's of the game?

We've had a ton of requests for Steffi's forehand over the years, so hear it is--what do you guys say?

Steffi Graf Forehand 1

Steffi Graf Forehand 2

Steffi Graf Forehand Return

Last edited by johnyandell; 07-17-2022, 11:18 AM.

A modified classic

Thanks for putting these up. I really enjoyed the clips. Seems like she has traditional fundamentals - eastern grip (leaning toward semi-western), racket stays on edge most of the time, hits through the ball and finishes over the left shoulder. But then when she really wants the ball to dip she finishes more around. Interesting that in a few clips she runs back a few steps and then takes a big swing and actually gets off the ground like in a serve. I can see why she was so good a turning defense into offense. There are alot of good things to copy about that forehand.

Comment

And I concur.

Comment

Graff's forehand is a thing of wonder, I agree.

That said, it looked to me, in these clips, like her grip is considerably more behind the racquet and less on top of it than during her prime. So, I went to Utube to confirm. Watched some clips there.

Here's a clip I found on which I don't necessarily agree w/ the evaluation of the similarity between Graff's and Ivanovic's forehand, bu which shows a pretty clear view of Graff's grip just before she hits the ball.

Looks to me like watching Andre, Roger, and Rafa has had some sort of effect on her grip and stroke pattern. Where Borg's forehand seems less extreme (western) than it was when he was in his heyday, Graff's seems more extreme (western) and less continental.

Am I all wet on this?

Comment

grip change

Your probably right. That would also account for the more conventional contact point in the recent clips. One thing I'm learning by looking at these is how you can use different finishes depending on the shot you want to hit. Another thing I noticed is she always seems to hit the center of racket, no mis hits for the 22 slam winner.

Comment

Does she age? What's that about? Great piece, I've always appreciated her, and what she has meant to the game. All class.

Comment

On Steffi's grip, I have a picture of her on the cover of the second edition of visual tennis from her playing days, and the grip is "modern eastern" something very similar to Pete or Henman. In my opinion she has always been behind the handle.

What was interesting to me in these clips was, to name a few points, the way her forehand doesn't look fullu modern during the turn. This is because she doesn't have that strong left arm stretch. But her extension is incredible and she goes effortless from a classic on edge to a full wiper finish--and that is again something we see so clearly in a player like Federer who also has a conservative grip.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8044 users online. 4 members and 8040 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X