Changing the serving platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the serving platform

Great article on tweaking the service motion with the Jeff G story! I've been pondering working on these very issues this off-season and now you've given me the mo to get going on it. It was encouraging to hear that some significant improvement was discovered in LESS THAN AN HOUR! Now how many times can you do that when you're working on improving your play? Thanks for the ideas and the boost to get on it! Jeff T

Jeff

Hey, John,

Did you attend the National 40's Hard Courts?

Kevin

Comment

Follow-up to initial post

I'm stoked after trying the suggestions from this article. As mentioned in the story, I too found that the simplified motion and additional drive that I was able to generate through my legs increased the pace AND accuracy of my serve. I was surprised that this result came immediately from the changed 'footwork' (or should I say lack thereof). With a little more work I'm expecting some good results from this change. Thanks again!

Comment

Yeah also got a lot of email feedback about that article on the platform--and again, no, didn't follow jeff to the nationals--BUT he'll be commenting on all that himself soon...

My experience has been very much the same. You can't argue that there haven't been great servers with pinpoint stances, but in working with players who were struggling with some aspect of the motion the results have been incredible in converting to platform.

Comment

Here's another comment from a USPTA coach:

John-

That was a fantastic article on Jeff's serve. I have been
          teaching for 35 years and I have always found that keeping one's
          balance was much easier from the platform position. Today's players
          are for the most part taught the pinpoint stance but under pressure, I
          see players off balance and losing racket speed. Hooray for old
          school! The simplicity of a Federer or Sampras serve provides the
          model that players should follow. Thanks once again for the article
          and keep up the GREAT WORK!!!

Glenn Davis

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7949 users online. 3 members and 7946 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X