Nadal's new serving stance; and Wilson's basal fiber frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nadal's new serving stance; and Wilson's basal fiber frames

I just watched Rafa Nadal narrowly beat Robin Soderling in the Abu Dahbi final on TTC. When serving, he pointed his front foot straight ahead to begin, then swiveled it about an inch to the left as he went up for the strike. I went to tour strokes and, sure enough, his left foot used to point toward the opposite net post. So why the change? It didn't seem to improve or hinder his serving, although I did not see him hit as many as usual straight up the centerline.

Here's another curiousity: A new Wilson ad at the beginning of the latest Tennis magazine tells about their new frame, made with basalt, "a natural volcanic rock made into ultra fine gold fibers and woven {K]arophite Black to filter unwanted exteme frequencies that reach the hand."

I never catch up! And will have to get along with my old-tech Head Microgel Radical until the BLX price comes down, in few years.

I was reminded of a news feature I saw on TV last night, about the last of the great, old samurai sword makers. He divulged a secret -- that he adds human bone to the molten steel to help produce an exquisite metal. There's something that hasn't changed.

I remembered to try this serving stance near the end of a doubles match this morning, and was surprised that it worked well -- got three successive, decent first serves in, but not comfortably. It required a new shoulder turn routine. I think that using it a lot might strain some muscles or ligaments a little bit, until one got used to it.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7952 users online. 3 members and 7949 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X