Aussie Open commentators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Open commentators

It is a treat for me when Darren Cahill, Chris Fowler and Cliff Drysdale are put together to do an Aussie match. Who is more incisive and savvy than low-key Cahill? Who has more low-key wit and personality than Fowler? And I just enjoy hearing elegant, old-school Drysdale.

Then there's the droll Fred Stolle, and Brad Gilbert has improved -- he knows so much, but doesn't seem so full of himself anymore. Justin Gimelstob, a master of $5 words and former tour player, is very good and an original, and he almost never speaks during a point. Pam Shriver and Mary Jo Fernandez are excellent on the women's matches. I like it that Fernandez has loosened up. Mary Carillo has reined in her gabbing lately, but Patrick McEnroe still talks an awful lot.

The others, most of them, are accomplished score-tellers who remind you of what you saw just a second ago. What broadcasting school did they attend? Same one as Kenny Albert?

Martina Navratilova and Jimmy Connors (don't know if he's at the Open for ESPN or TC) are masters at tearing down the players' games, as if they could go out and beat any of them right after lunch. The broadcasts are all about them, it has seemed to me.
    Last edited by ochi; 01-23-2010, 04:07 PM. Reason: added a bit here and there

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8428 users online. 5 members and 8423 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X