• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backhand

#609 01-10-2010, 05:09 AM
    uspta2801398569
    Junior Member Join Date: Jun 2007

Backhand

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So often I hear coaches talk about the use of the left hand (right handed Player) for the backhand. "That Its the be all end all to hitting great backhands" You also hear coaches say percentages like 70% is used with the left hand.
    How could you even possibly measure something like that!!
    I am righty but can hit a ball really well left handed. Does that mean I should have a incredible backhand. When you watch a lot of the slow motion backhands you see the hands laid back through impact and many frames after..
    Is the right hand used in the finishing/deceleration of the racquet phase?
    How? and when is the left hand used? Is the left hand used more only when try to put extra spin on the ball? I notice when I play with different grip variation such as a eastern/eastern I guide more with my top hand! But when I use my usual continental bottom hand and semi-western top, I feel less need for the left hand unless I want to generate spin. You also see a lot of women players using less dominent grip positions with the bottom hand and more of the men with stronger! Why is that?

You might want to investigate the series in Advanced Tennis starting with this article:

Not sure how the exact balance can be measured but the relative use of the hands probably varies with the hitting arm structures.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8005 users online. 5 members and 8000 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X