What grip is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What grip is this?

I have been using this grip for a while now.
    Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

I am not sure what it is, i think its what you guys call extream eastern or so.

I really try to move a bit to the west side, to have semi-western (because i play on clay and clay only), but its very hard to play with that grip for me, its kinda unnatural, or I might be doing something wrong.

Hello

I have sent my view to your mail... hope it help

Comment

I still have the problem with the grip I think.

I ONLY play on clay, but its club level (most players are playing the game for about 3 years now), and I got the problem with balls that dont bonce a bit over my waist, and most dont.

Could it be because my grip is to much to the west side?

I would just like to know what grip am I using

P.S. find the picture of my forehand grip at the first post.
      Last edited by nikae; 04-02-2011, 01:38 AM.

Comment

For most players, your grip would be too extreme. Most players who use a grip like yours tend to skim the ball and lack penetration. Another downside of the grip is that it's hard to feel the ball well enough to consistently get a good length on your shots. Even Nadal has days (not many I might add!) where he can't find a decent length...like when he lost to Soderling at the French Open.

An extreme western grip works well for some players, but not many. Try shifting to a semi western for a couple of months and see how it pans out.
        Stotty

Comment

Are you seeing something I'm not?

I could swear from the pictures that this is a 3 1/2 to 4 on both the first knuckle and the heel of the hand, a normal to strong semi-Western. I agree with the comments above that he would be better off with a conventional Eastern, but I don't see this grip as a full Western or even a particularly strong semi.

don

Comment

For me, the heel of the hand is what really counts in determining the type of grip a player is using. Fingers and knuckles mean far less because everyone's hand is shaped different. The heel of the hand in pic 3 is leaning towards a full western, which is too far for most players, imo.
            Stotty

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

I do have some videos of me hiting forehands (game conditions):

but i am kinda far away from camera, but you could paste the link at www.keepvid.com to download it and make it biger.

After I paused the video at the botom of my backswing, I noticed that racket face is totalty closed at that point, wich could say that my grip is too western.

And yes, my forehand has a lot of spin, not much power, and litle consistency.
              I always tought if I learn to use a lot of spin, that I will be more consinstent, but I end up hitting a lot of balls into the net.

P.S. I did try using more eastern grip, but I lose some spin, and i cant hit the ball as hard because if I do, it goes into the fence. I'll try filming myself hiting with eastern grip when I get a bit more used to it.

Comment

Not a great angle to view at, but he grip would seem to be semi western or perhaps edging further to western. The stroke doesn't appear to have the distinctive traits of a full western.

It would take around 2 months to change to an eastern grip. Once a grip slips round towards a western grip it can be murder changing it back towards an eastern grip. Takes a lot of practice to get confident enough to translate it into match play.
                Stotty

Comment

Now that you mentioned it, yes, I am pretty off balanced, and I didn't really know why, I gues I am trying to use my body way too much.

I am trying to copy the pros, wich probably is bad idea for me.

I will try to use more neutral stance, with more eastern forehand grip from now on and see how it goes.

Everything you guys said makes sence, thanks a lot!

Comment

western forehand grip, & backwards-emphsis forehand

Nikae -- are all the 3 photos of your forehand grip? If so, then I would say you use something like a western forehand. The heel of your hand is not on the backside bevel, and not on the underside bevel. Your heel of the hand is on that slanted bevel between the backside & underside. Therefore, it looks like a full western forehand grip.

If you are not happy with your forehand, I would suggest using more of a hammer grip instead of spreading your fingers so much. In that way, your forehand can become more powerful, like a punch to the opponent's gut in boxing. I am a big proponent of having an "L" between the forearm and racket when the strings impact the ball. When you have more of a hammer grip, you can have that L much more easily and much more strongly.

I favor the semi-Western grip for most topspin forehands. Perhaps if you use a hammer grip, then you can convert to the semi-western. However, your muscle memory might be so used to the full western grip that you cannot change your grip easily. That is ok, because you can hit the ball well using your current grip. Your grip is ok.

I see you were complaining about your "balance." I do not like using that word, because it is used in a fuzzy sort of way, when most coaches talk about "balance." However, I see what you mean when you say you are off balance. You should read my opinions in my posts here about "backwards-emphasis topspin forehands." Many of my posts were in the thread "yuck."

You have a backwards-emphasis topspin forehand. You have a forehand that is taught by many coaches today. If you will read my posts, you will better understand why you fall backwards and are off balance as you hit the forehand. Please feel free to leave me a private message. I could help your forehand, quickly. I can teach you to hit the forehand harder, & more consistently, & more simply. The way players are taught to hit forehands today is so complicated and biomechanically wrong.

Believe it or not, many times with good instruction, you can make significant, positive changes in your game in a short time. (Example: Rafa changing his service grip in the days prior to winning the U.S. Open.) I wish that I or my USPTA protege Luke could help you.

Comment

semi western

A solid semi western (4/3 1/2) grip that should play just fine
                      on any surface.

Comment

your not reaching the power position when the ball bounces

Comment

power position? no

Nikae, do not copy Federer's power position. I think that you are trying to copy that "power position." I can see it in your forehand, Nikae. That is your biggest problem. That power position is what I call the backwards-emphasis topspin forehand. Check all my posts, and you will see all the problems that it creates in today's players. That is what the players today are taught. That is what most of the players today use. That is why many pros today have inconsistent, poorly placed topspin forehands. If you use the power position (backwards-emphasis topspin forehand), you will muscle the ball too much, and lose balance. The power position results in more of a pull than a push for the stroke. . .so the power position is not a good idea.

That power position is kinda close to what a good forehand would look like, if you stopped a forehand in the middle of the stroke. . . and then you must try to jump start the stroke again. (Who wants to do that? Who wants to ruin a coninuous swing? Who wants to put a hitch in theri swing?)

That is why players using the power position (backwards-emphasis forehand) are so inconsistent. They do not track the ball well with their strings. They take their racket too early . . so they should not brag about "racket head speed." The power position actually reduces racket head speed. They jut their racket back too far, so that the elbow is disengaged too much from the important hitting side of the abdominal muscles. . .therefore they must make too many adjustments during their swing. Note that the racket is supported by only one hand as Fed is waiting for the ball, which tightens up his muscles. A racket does not seem heavy, but it makes a big difference when you do not support the racket with free hand at throat long enough. Then, with the racket back that far, the player often muscles the ball mostly behind his or her body. It is like straightening the bat too early in baseball. It is like hitting over the top in golf. That is why players using that power position often hit the ball too much behind themselves, and fall backwards after the stroke.

You will often see those players using so much energy, but their ball lands short in the court, lands not in the direction they were aiming, and the ball has little pace, despite all their effort. They muscle the ball to much. They also often lose balance for no good reason. Federer has a good forehand in some ways, but it is obvious that he has many mishits, and his forehand often goes off during long stretches.

I saw your forehand swing on video. It is too much like that power positon. That is why you are unhappy with the results of your forehand. I will communicate with you more. Thank you, Nikae.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2395 users online. 6 members and 2389 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X