Article: The Serve Backswing: The Upper Body - Question for Brian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: The Serve Backswing: The Upper Body - Question for Brian

In respect to the backward lean and sidewards lean of the trunk as described in your article Brian, would you say that keeping the left arm up very high and as long as possible serves to set up the correct trunk position on the backswing?

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    In respect to the backward lean and sidewards lean of the trunk as described in your article Brian, would you say that keeping the left arm up very high and as long as possible serves to set up the correct trunk position on the backswing?
    Phil -

The position and motion timing of the tossing arm is not relevant really to the lateral trunk lean.

With respect to the backward lean the extended arm at the end of the wind up acts as a balancing factor for those with an appropriate lean and fits nicely with that position (a relatively minor issue); proper lowering (timing) during the back swing helps the body to generate the cartwheel rotation important in transferring momentum from the legs to the trunk.

So... I would not say as long as possible... but long enough to stabilize the maximum backward lean while not so long as to not facilitate the cartwheel through proper timing of the arm's dynamic descent - timing not duration is the key in my view - Brian
    Last edited by BrianGordon; 05-10-2010, 03:07 AM.

Comment

Thanks Brian. Your serve series has become like a tennis bible for me.. Always picking up something new, every time I reread it...

Comment

Something that struck me watching Murray serve is the way his backswing works. It isn't an abbreviated swing, but it isn't classical -- Sampras, Federer -- either. He seem to sart off at 45 degrees to the baseline with his shoulders rotated forwards. He then turns away from the court and his toss is the classical toss of Sampras and Federer, as identified by John Yandell, in that the ball travels through the air from the right of his body towards the left. But what is interesting to me at least is the way the racket arm moves. It almost mirrors the tossing arm in its motion. What seems attractive about it is that the server's right and left arms are doing the same motion -- well almost - and it seems that a very complementary set of movements are employed. It also seems to make the knee bend easy to incorporate. Murray appears to hit the serve with a good smooth rhythm. A lot of non-classical serves seem to be a frantic rush.

I would be interested to know whether anyone thinks there are real strengths or weaknesses to this style. Grateful for your thoughts.

cc
        Last edited by crosscourt; 05-18-2010, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          Thanks Brian. Your serve series has become like a tennis bible for me.. Always picking up something new, every time I reread it...
          you need to get your left arm up straighter to help shoullder tilt angle etc . jmho.
          p.s. im larry 10s your nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by llll View Post
            you need to get your left arm up straighter to help shoullder tilt angle etc . jmho.
            p.s. im larry 10s your nightmare
            Not at all larry. Have been trying it out, and it really has improved my serve.

Comment

george glad i could help the straighter left arm also helps to stretch the "archers bow' i struggle with that position also

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8171 users online. 6 members and 8165 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X