• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A modified Spanish approach

Chris,
    your quote
    --->
    Case in point: The USTA development team under Jose Higueras is attempting to adopt many Spanish approaches to the US high performance development system. They are actually building clay courts here at the USTA National Tennis Center in NY, which is ambitious. But their approach is a modified Spanish approach, more hybridized than one would find in Spain.
    --->
    Could you expand/elaborate last sentence,please?

Comment

Hybridized Spanish approach

Originally posted by uspta146749877 View Post
      Chris,
      your quote
      --->
      Case in point: The USTA development team under Jose Higueras is attempting to adopt many Spanish approaches to the US high performance development system. They are actually building clay courts here at the USTA National Tennis Center in NY, which is ambitious. But their approach is a modified Spanish approach, more hybridized than one would find in Spain.
      --->
      Could you expand/elaborate last sentence,please?
      The new USTA hands, eyes/mind, feet philosophy is a Spanish influenced philosophy for sure. They have brought Spanish training to the USTA player development. They have several Spanish coaches on payroll.

But from what I understand from the USTA is that the approach is not wholly Spanish. For example, I believe they will encourage more attacking play, perhaps more net game than is worked on in the typical Spanish academy, and more big serve emphasis.

In my opinion, the USTA is taking a Spanish approach and modifying it to our culture, our courts, and adapting it to fit into the mentality of American coaches.

I think it is a very promising philosophy, and I think the best philosophical approach the USTA has ever promoted. I just wish they would stop recruiting my students and taking them away from me with their free programs.

It is great to see a unified USTA philosophy and coaching style for the first time.

Chris

That's what I'm trying to say

Comment

Going back from hard surface to clay

Chris,
        your quote
        ---->
        So this article presents a range of footwork drills used by elite coaches from these differing schools. I do not believe it is an either/or decision when it comes to training court movement. I believe players should be trained in both styles to maximize their physical, technical and mental development.
        -----> end end of quote
        A question:
        I have coached a junior player playing 2 month clay/10 month hard surface in North East.Teaching two different footworks seems to be very expensive approach from my end.
        Any comments?

julian mielniczuk
        uspta certified pro
        juliantennis@comcast.net

Courtside Tennis Club,Bedford,MA
        Last edited by uspta146749877; 06-24-2010, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8111 users online. 6 members and 8105 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X