Sampras serve: racket head speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampras serve: racket head speed

Great article John! In respect to the final burst of racket speed prior to impact (at the end of the kinetic chain of events setting it up...), am I reading it correctly that it comes at this point mainly from the loose whipping motion of the hand and arm pronation? The kinetic chain of events has the arm straightening up at impact (and still rotating) and stopping high which whips the racket forward and across. The high elbow after impact shows that one aimed up at the ball to get maximum racket head speed.
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 05-24-2010, 03:25 AM.

The article describes the pattern of acceleration but I purposefully dodged the question you ask.

Brian's article on contributions (Tennis and Tennis Science) shows the complex interplay of the factors you mentioned--and others--elbow extension, the move of the wrist to neutral position, etc---and how the amount of contribution changes over these brief intervals.

All this still in my opinion falls more in the "why" category than the "how". For me as I have said a few times I think it's about making the positions and letting the body do it's thing. But I hope to address the issue more directly after I develop more knowledge based on further exploration of Brian's data in future articles.

Comment

phil corrct me if im wrong but you have beleived the high elbow was the cuase of the great sampras serve . after many dicussions i thought you came to agree it was the result of his serve . ie where he contacted the ball and how he released. do you not think that anymore??

Comment

Originally posted by llll View Post
        phil corrct me if im wrong but you have beleived the high elbow was the cuase of the great sampras serve . after many dicussions i thought you came to agree it was the result of his serve . ie where he contacted the ball and how he released. do you not think that anymore??
        I do. Thought that what I said, namely, he aims extremely up and not forward. Isn't that the same thing?

Going away for a couple of days to the beach in Genoa, so if I don't answer right away Larry, it is because I am swimming in the Mediterannean...

Comment

im jealous use your sunscreen. have fun

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7954 users online. 3 members and 7951 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X