Pancho Gonzales, Pancho Segura, et al

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pancho Gonzales, Pancho Segura, et al

I started playing tennis at the age of 10 with my Dad at the Los Angeles Tennis club. I remember seeing Pancho Gonzales playing with Panch Segura. Gonzales always fascinated me, especially his fluid serve motion. Looked so easy.

My Dad used to play mixed doubles with Gorgeous Gussy Moran. My mother used to simmer because Dad would ignore us when playing. He said it was all the question of "concentration"...

I really enjoyed the Gino Tanasescu "Pancho" series. Really rolled the clock back. Captures the essence of Pancho... great in black and white...

Been playing tennis all my life. My best ranking was 5.0, and I won a number of 5.0 tournaments. Too bad in those days there was no tennisplayer.net. Would have really helped me.

Still playing about 6 hours of tennis a week, keeping in shape by doing 500 pushups every morning (10 reps, sets of 50) and cycling 20 minutes daily. This really keeps my back, shoulders and arms compact.

God I would have like to have seen those two play at the LA Club. I have been there many times. Gino's film is one of my absolute favorite things on the site.

Have you read Allen Fox's article about playing Pancho G.? Or Ed Atkinson's nostolgic portraits of him and others of the era??

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      God I would have like to have seen those two play at the LA Club. I have been there many times. Gino's film is one of my absolute favorite things on the site.

Have you read Allen Fox's article about playing Pancho G.? Or Ed Atkinson's nostolgic portraits of him and others of the era??
      Yes, and have Atkinson's DVD on the greats from Tilden to Laver. Used to love Hoad too...

Comment

Really sad that there is so little good historical footage of these guys--they won't be able to claim that though after the year 2000 when they look back at what we've built up here...

Comment

John, DId you ever look at this site? Some good footage of historical matches...

British Pathe.... You can do a search on the site, here is an example: Hoad versus Trabert -the famous Davis cup match...

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=81817

Comment

I saw them play, along with Maria Bueno, at the oakland Colosseum. They all wore dress whites, and hit the ball a lot slower. Tennis used to be the sport of kings, and now, it's beyond blue collar, bashing, thrashing, brutalizing the holy **** out of the ball.

Sweating, grunting, blasting, dashing, sprinting, and blitz kreig tennis has become the sport of young super star, super powered, genetic freaks! That doesn't mean I don't love it and admire and wish to emulate those who have paid the price in pain and discipline, to hone their skills, to the point of world class domination. I still am getting better. Thanks to this site, I still believe I can!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8082 users online. 8 members and 8074 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X