Favorite string set ups for: durability/control/cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite string set ups for: durability/control/cost

Most durable: Ashaway kevlar 16g mains/alu smooth or rpm blast crosses. (Slippery crosses cut down on notching.) Mid range tension. Higher tension/stiffer frames will cause breakage earlier. $13-15

Most control/feel/playable/touch: Vs team 17g mains/ alu smooth crosses (alu tension loss will go before gut does but can be restrung without cutting out the mains.) Mid range tension. Lower will trampoline, higher feels too tinny. $25-30

Lower Cost: msv hex 1.23mm mains/ forten sweet or global gut 16g cross Higher tension will break faster, cost more. ($9-11)

The higher tensions will not have as much power/trampoline. Stiffer frames will cause more breakage/arm problems at higher tensions with stiffer strings like Poly. Copolys are softer like cyber flash/rpm blast. Sppp has great tension loss, good for hybrids on a cross. Vs team gut 17g best for control/touch, tension loss is better with gut.

Best spin:solinco barb wire/tour bite, technifibre black code 17g/ or spiky shark 18g or msv 1.10mm hex.

Note: vs team 17g/black code is a good hybrid as well!

I have been cutting out crosses, and leaving the vs team 17g mains, with strings like alu, adrenaline, rpm blast, blackcode, and the vs team retains almost all of its tension. You cannot do this without first placing the stick in the stringer before cutting out the crosses. Each time, the vs feels great. It also has great spin, great power, great feel/control/softness. Every time I've tried this with other mains, the mains have lost too much of their tension. This allows me to extend the life of the vs in terms of its best feel. I like the blackcode crosses.

Rpm blast is a very slippery string, good for a cross with ashway kevlar 16g, just like blackcode..... (Reduces notching!) Rpm blast is softer and duller feel, not as crisp as bc. Bc 18g has more power, less durable than 17g or 16g bc... 17g has more control and less trampoline than bc 18g. Bc reels ($175) cost less than rpm blast reels ($225).

Vs team 17g mains/alu versus vs team 17g/blackcode crosses: prefer the bc. I keet the same mains, vs team 17g, and cut out alu power, and replace it with adrenaline lux, and replace that adren. with blackcode at 65lbs/crosses, and the feel has been the best so far with those same vs team 17g set of mains. I was able to make shots on the dead run, against a fitter/faster opp., who has more match play, and put the ball away on him many times, and ace him/control him with my serve, better with the blackcode crosses, than the alu/adren. crosses, with the same set of vs team, even though bc was the third set of crosses, in the same set of vs mains! Why? Bc had better feel than the alu.

The dwell time for rpm was good, but did not give more control than bc, it was the other way around. Bc gave more control with similar spin. You know you have a perfect string job, when your control is deadly on the run, and the bed feels like a crisp yet solid, yet higher treble feel, like a ping thud, rather than a pong thud on the bed. It feels like the string is crumpling on the ball, holding it for awhile, tightening around the ball, and grabbing the edges of the ball, and then the ball has jet power on its edges. If you were to strike a piece of metal with a hammer, the tones would be diff. for each type of metal, and last longer or not, depending on the metal make up and shape. The best feel for me is like a clink! with increasing freq. tone as the ball settles into the string bed. So, as the ball hits, the tone/feel is at first wide and crisp, and then rapidly the tone increases in pitch/freq. as the ball compresses, and then rockets out: CllllllliiinnnkkkkkkkkkKKKK! It's the KKKKK on the end, that makes the feel deadly. The alu is more like a pong on the end, if that makes any sense.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-06-2010, 07:43 PM.

My favorite setup is Babolat luxilon, 24 kilos. I have the Babolat Aero Pro.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
      My favorite setup is Babolat luxilon, 24 kilos. I have the Babolat Aero Pro.
      babolat luxilon huh? i guess ive been out of the equipment game for awhile. Ive used Luxilon Alu power 16L for the past 7 years i believe and i never found anything comparable. Is this babolat similar to the luxilon im referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by geoffwilliams View Post
        Most durable: Ashaway kevlar 16g mains/alu smooth or rpm blast crosses. (Slippery crosses cut down on notching.) Mid range tension. Higher tension/stiffer frames will cause breakage earlier. $13-15

Most control/feel/playable/touch: Vs team 17g mains/ alu smooth crosses (alu tension loss will go before gut does but can be restrung without cutting out the mains.) Mid range tension. Lower will trampoline, higher feels too tinny. $25-30

Lower Cost: msv hex 1.23mm mains/ forten sweet or global gut 16g cross Higher tension will break faster, cost more. ($9-11)

The higher tensions will not have as much power/trampoline. Stiffer frames will cause more breakage/arm problems at higher tensions with stiffer strings like Poly. Copolys are softer like cyber flash/rpm blast. Sppp has great tension loss, good for hybrids on a cross. Vs team gut 17g best for control/touch, tension loss is better with gut.

Best spin:solinco barb wire/tour bite, technifibre black code 17g/ or spiky shark 18g or msv 1.10mm hex.

Note: vs team 17g/black code is a good hybrid as well!

I have been cutting out crosses, and leaving the vs team 17g mains, with strings like alu, adrenaline, rpm blast, blackcode, and the vs team retains almost all of its tension. You cannot do this without first placing the stick in the stringer before cutting out the crosses. Each time, the vs feels great. It also has great spin, great power, great feel/control/softness. Every time I've tried this with other mains, the mains have lost too much of their tension. This allows me to extend the life of the vs in terms of its best feel. I like the blackcode crosses.

Rpm blast is a very slippery string, good for a cross with ashway kevlar 16g, just like blackcode..... (Reduces notching!) Rpm blast is softer and duller feel, not as crisp as bc. Bc 18g has more power, less durable than 17g or 16g bc... 17g has more control and less trampoline than bc 18g. Bc reels ($175) cost less than rpm blast reels ($225).

Vs team 17g mains/alu versus vs team 17g/blackcode crosses: prefer the bc. I keet the same mains, vs team 17g, and cut out alu power, and replace it with adrenaline lux, and replace that adren. with blackcode at 65lbs/crosses, and the feel has been the best so far with those same vs team 17g set of mains. I was able to make shots on the dead run, against a fitter/faster opp., who has more match play, and put the ball away on him many times, and ace him/control him with my serve, better with the blackcode crosses, than the alu/adren. crosses, with the same set of vs team, even though bc was the third set of crosses, in the same set of vs mains! Why? Bc had better feel than the alu.

The dwell time for rpm was good, but did not give more control than bc, it was the other way around. Bc gave more control with similar spin. You know you have a perfect string job, when your control is deadly on the run, and the bed feels like a crisp yet solid, yet higher treble feel, like a ping thud, rather than a pong thud on the bed. It feels like the string is crumpling on the ball, holding it for awhile, tightening around the ball, and grabbing the edges of the ball, and then the ball has jet power on its edges. If you were to strike a piece of metal with a hammer, the tones would be diff. for each type of metal, and last longer or not, depending on the metal make up and shape. The best feel for me is like a clink! with increasing freq. tone as the ball settles into the string bed. So, as the ball hits, the tone/feel is at first wide and crisp, and then rapidly the tone increases in pitch/freq. as the ball compresses, and then rockets out: CllllllliiinnnkkkkkkkkkKKKK! It's the KKKKK on the end, that makes the feel deadly. The alu is more like a pong on the end, if that makes any sense.
        my friend that is 5.0 as well he has hit with many kevlar strings and he really does not like ashway. he says dunlop makes the best kevlar.

Comment

since i dont break strings full vs team for me

Comment

technifibre red code and gamma synthetic

I use this combination per a friend's recommendation - racket - Head extreme microgel midplus - redcode g. 17 54lbs for mains. crosses - gamma synthetic 17 g. 56 lbs. Its for my 11 yo son who is a string breaker. What do you guys think?

Comment

Any syn gut won't last long for a string breaker. Lasts me about 1/2hr. Ashaway 16g/alu is best for breakers.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7731 users online. 8 members and 7723 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X