Advice on forehand grip - see pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on forehand grip - see pics

A couple of months ago I've inadvertently started gripping the racquet relatively low. See the photos. I felt that I muscle the ball less, therefore permitting me to feel the shots more, and can create more angle on cross court shots.

A fellow friend who is a very accomplished player says that on a good day he tends to hold the racquet that way.

Do you guys see any benefit or disadvantage of holding the racquet this way?

Watching pros hitting, yes they don't choke up the handle and always hold further down but not with the pinky below the butt cap.

Also, out of interest would you clarify my grip as an eastern?

Thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by radionise; 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM. Reason: embedded the right pic to show the location of base knuckle.

Some players do it. Roger is partially that way but not as extreme as what these pcitures show. The advantage? Possibly the whole arm structure stays looser and more relaxed. From what I have seen over the years, this is usually a minor or irrelevant factor for most players though who tend to have basic structural problems in their strokes. Not saying you do...

I can't relly see the position of the base knuckle in those pictures, but that looks like some version of a mild semi-western to me, not eastern. Like a 3 1/2 31/2 maybe.

A better way to get feedback though would be to post a video of the stroke!

Comment

Thanks John,

Appreciate the comment. I've edited my original post to show the photo depicting the location of base knuckle.

I will try to upload some videos soon.

I discovered that by gripping this way, I muscle the ball less, which has produced positive results not just in practice but also during match plays as I feel very much more relaxed..... that is... until I start playing much better players, where I start to feel as if I'm late on my shots.... And I start to choke a little bit up - just with the butt cap visible probably about quarter of an inch. However, the problem when I'm holding it this way, is that I start to have sort of a gate-swinging like shots. What should I do to improve on this?

Comment

Yeah that knuckle looks more eastern. If you wouldn't mind, post questions for me in my section in the future ok?

As for the problems against hard hitters, well again, impossible to say unless I actually see you hit.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7834 users online. 0 members and 7834 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X