Mini Tennis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Tennis

I originally posted this question directly to John Yandell but another member suggested I put the question into open debate on general forum. I am an English coach working the other side of the pond to most of you. Here is the question I posed to John. He kindly answered but is not directly involved in mini tennis so was unsure of the procedure at grass roots level over there in the US:

John:

Do you have mini tennis red, orange, and green over there in the US? If so, are kids locked into each stage of progression determined by age as they are here? For example, a kid of seven cannot progress to mini orange until they are eight, regardless of ability and physique.

Here in the UK, the LTA have spent millions rolling out mini tennis, and they strictly control the division of age groups in the mini tennis competitive structure. It's hugely controversial amongst coaches. Many feel gifted kids are held back by not being to compete in the age group above, especially if they romp thru their own age group virtually unchallenged.

Just wondered how it works over the pond?
    Stotty

Progressive tennis

We are much less organized than you are in this area. We have the Quick start guide lines but each pro can use or not use the guide lines.
    I have been using progressive tennis, red, orange and green for a few years. I also have several 10 and under boys using regular balls on large courts.

I am a believer in the system but it is not for everyone.

Comment

Open stance ?

You may consider reading

Comment

Another point of view

See

post #21

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies!

Over here mini tennis is a big thing. And it is undoubtedly a great way to to introduce tennis to youngsters. It makes the game attainable for the masses, and in particular for low ability students who would otherwise walk away from the difficulties of the traditional game.

The problem is over here is the LTA (who completely control the national tennis teaching systems) make the system so rigid. Every child has to stick with their age group and the ball that goes with it. It's a tennis law.

No system fits all and most coaches know this. Used with common sense, mini tennis is fantastic and the best addition to tennis for many years. The problem is the LTA don't trust coaches to move up kids thru the progressions with common sense. Such mistrust isn't always misplaced. Incompetent coaches (there are many) will undoubtedly rush kids thru the progressions to appease ambitious parents... and a host of other reasons.

It's just a shame we can't tweak mini tennis to get it to work better.
          Stotty

Comment

Quickstart

See as well

Comment

Ask John again.

There is a system being used by many US clubs to determine when to advance a player through the different balls and court sizes. It utilizes proficiency tests to determine whether players have control over direction, spin, depth, consistency and a variety of shots. It comes with drills appropriate to each level and rewards players for passing each level. In fact, there are curriculums for mini-tennis, Quikstart tennis, and regular court size tennis. In the interest of avoiding self-promotion, contact John for more details.

CC

Comment

Yeah we need to finish that article, CC. Does the Grips deal incorporate minitennis now? If so even better.

Comment

A proficiency test would seem a good idea, based on basic technique and skill level. We did it once over here in the UK. Kids had ten badges to complete. Coca Cola sponsored the whole concept for a few years.
                  Stotty

Comment

For JY

Yes, there is a full curriculum with proficiency tests for (mini tennis) Quickstart, including development of the fundamental athletic skills athlete at the earliest levels. Due to the ITF's recent ruling that all 10 and under tournaments will be played without regular tennis equipment, we've had to give coaches something to work with.

However, I am still a firm believer that talented kids on the "fast track" should be allowed to exit mini tennis a lot earlier than 10 years old.

CC

Comment

Interesting. i think that's great Craig because the systems aren't in competition in some way right?

Comment

Systems? Grips and Quickstart are definitely not in competition, but rather symbiotic.

However, Quickstart and traditional tennis are in competition, but only in the early development phase. (up to age 10) The consequence of what we have created is that we'll be able to measure the success of both traditional development versus Quickstart development. In a very short time, we'll have excellent feedback as to which development style is progressing kids through the basic skills at a faster rate. I believe Federations like the USTA would like that information. (I'm also shocked they haven't done the research before adopting the new program)

I'm very excited to see the results, as my personal opinions will either be validated or demolished. Either way, I learn something valuable!

CC

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2532 users online. 7 members and 2525 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X