Response to Allen Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Response to Allen Fox

I think Allen's comments on aggression are incorrect. Here is an article with a different perspective.

A LINE ON LIFE
    5/14/90
    Controlling Aggression *
    David A. Gershaw, Ph.D.
    In his early work, Freud thought that frustration was one factor that led to aggression. Later, Freud expanded this to say that aggression was part of a death instinct. This indicates that aggression is inborn. Thus aggression was seen not only as a way to deal with some frustrating obstacle but also as a need of its own.
    Although most clinicians avoid this instinctive view, ethnologists –biologists and psychologists who study animal behavior – seem to agree with it. Ethnologists see aggression as an instinct in both animals and humans that needs to be expressed. In their early work, ethnologists noted a major difference between the aggression of animals and the aggression of humans. Animals seem to have inborn mechanisms to control their aggression, but humans do not. Unfortunately, later work seems to indicate that animals are no better in controlling their aggression than we are.
    Within their own species, animals fight for food, mates, nesting areas and to protect the young. Since the most successful aggressor will get the most females, they will procreate more. In addition, these aggressive instincts tend to space the animals' territories, so there is enough food for all.
    According to ethnologist Konrad Lorenz in the 1960s, the fruits of their intra-species aggression can be enjoyed, because animals have inborn inhibitions to keep them from destroying members of their own species. The threatening displays of their ritualistic aggressive behavior usually avoid most of the actual combat. When they do fight, it is a stylized method of combat that only rarely results in serious injury. The loser can display signs of submission that inhibit further aggression from the victor. For example, if a wolf lies down and exposes his throat, the victor will stop the attack.
    According to Lorenz, this is in sharp contrast to what happens in humans. Humans have developed weapons that can deal out death at great distances without even coming into contact with the victims. Even if we did have similar inhibitions, the separation of the aggressor and victim would nullify their effects on aggressive instincts.
    However, more recent data have shown that not all species have innate inhibiting signals – and these signals are not effective in all foes. Acts of murder, rape and infanticide are much more frequent than was hypothesized in the 1960s. In fact, there are even "border wars" among different groups of chimpanzees. The best-observed case was in Tanzania, Africa. There was a gang of five male chimpanzees that defended their territory against any intruding male. If two or more strange chimps entered their domain, the encounter would be noisy but not deadly. It was much different, if the intruder was alone. Several members of the gang would hold the intruder's limbs, while a remaining member of the gang would beat the intruder to death. Another tact was for a few of the gang members to drag the intruder over the rocks to kill him. In another border dispute in the 1970s, a group of 15 chimps demolished another nearby group by killing them off – one lone male at a time.
    Female chimps are as aggressive as the males. The only reason they do not kill as often is that their teeth are not as long or sharp as those of the males.
    These observations and others changed our view of animal aggression. In 1983, sociobiologist E. O. Wilson went so far as to state:
    "If you calculate the number of murders per individual animal per hour of observation, you realize that the murder rate is higher than for human beings, even taking into account our wars."
    According to some experts, beside the similar frequency of aggression, humans and animals have similar inhibitions related to violence. Animals use markers – strong odors and loud calls – that permit one side to withdraw before aggressive behavior can occur. Animals also use social responses that are not compatible with aggression. Mutual grooming – softly touching or fingering the body of other animals – is one of these responses.
    The most important factor to inhibit aggression is familiarity. Mutual greeting rituals – like sniffing each other – make them familiar with each other. It helps them to tell the difference between strangers and group members.
    In humans there is only weak evidence that our aggression is instinctive. Now almost all of the evidence indicates that aggression in humans is a learned behavior. As children, we learn form others around us. Models – both in real life and the media – frequently demonstrate that the only way to deal with any disagreement is aggression. If the child imitates this aggression – and is rewarded by obtaining goals that were previously denied – that child is well on the way of making a habit of aggression.
    Rather than aggression, other methods can be used or taught to help people dealing with disagreements. Open communication, assertiveness and compromise techniques can be demonstrated and taught to our children – and adults too. Becoming familiar with people from different groups will help us see them as human beings – in contrast to viewing them a sub-human or non-human. (Notice how our view of Russians has changed now that we know some individuals better.)
    If aggression is learned, it can also be unlearned.

The argument about human instincts and nature vs nurture have been going on for the past couple of thousand years without resolution, so I don't think we have the definitive answer now. But I have my opinions, as do others.

I my opinion, there has been a contamination of scientific thought by political considerations in the past half century. Politics have inclined people against the nature arguments and toward the nurture arguments. It is politically more acceptable these days to emphasize learning and the environment as primary determiners of behavior. This is in line with the assumption that anyone can do anything with proper training and upbringing, and it appears more equalitarian. It also provides a better pretext for legislation as well as offering a greater role for psychologists and counselors, not to mention its help in attracting grant money for "research." (a term I am using loosely)

On the other hand, ideas that hereditary influences may be more powerful than we previously thought have an elitist tenor to them, so they are generally resisted within the psychological community. This appears to be changing a bit in recent years, but its political incorrectness remain a hurdle.

The bottom line is that both heredity and environment are obviously influences on behavior, and nobody knows for sure how much each contributes. My own opinion is that heredity contributes far more than previously thought, but how much more I don't know. (nor does anybody else)

Allen Fox
    Last edited by AllenFox; 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I agree with Mr. Fox. Although I think the resistance and push-back from psychology to the ideas of evolutionary biology, sociobiology and evolutionary psychology has more to do with issues of territory than the psychologists being uncomfortable with elitism.

When I studied biology in college the issue of nature vs. nurture was essentially settled in that department: it's not an issue of nature or nurture, but always some combination of both. This view has been strengthened and much informed by contemporary genetics, in particular epigenetics, which has shown that much of our genetic "encoding" is itself subject to variability in expression, which is often described as "gene/environment interactions". Our parents give us our genes, but our environment and life experiences are continually turning them on or off (especially in childhood).

In "On Human Nature", E.O. Wilson lists seven categories of aggression observed in various species:

1. the defense and conquest of territories
      2. the assertion of dominance within well-organized groups
      3. sexual aggression
      4. acts of hostility by which weaning is terminated
      5. aggression against prey
      6. defensive counterattacks against predators
      7. moralistic and disciplinary aggression used to enforce the rules of society

It seems to me that four of these are observed on tennis courts (1, 2, 5, 6) and I think Mr. Fox mentioned most of them the article being discussed.

I recently read that book shortly after Mr. Fox's two recent articles, the other one being about Federer's defeat of Murray at the '10 Aussie Open. It occurred to me that Federer - who's play is obviously aggressive, but who's demeanor is not - may primarily harness a predator's aggression on court.

In cats, the portion of the brain associated with anger (not just in cats, BTW) is active during territorial hostilities, but not so when hunting and killing prey. In this sense, predatorial aggression could be seen as a calm, or cool aggression.

Does this describe Federer? Calmly but sharply stalking and pouncing on his over-matched prey? The analogy can obviously go toward playing with his food as well, which is rather unflattering to his opponents.

Maybe this is why in tight matches against opponents of similar strength (or strength on the day) Federer can seem to lose his aggression, focus and sometimes even his motivation. If his opponent can no longer be viewed as weaker than him, predatorial aggression makes no sense. And sometimes he might not have it in him to switch to defense of his territory or his position in the ATP hierarchy.
      Last edited by stumphges; 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Heredity and genetic tendencies vs. environmental (learned behavior)

Political correctness is causing the grant givers to ignore proposals for data gathering. No one wants a study to say: Genetic factors cause aggression and anti social behavior. That would be politically incorrrect, even if heredity relates to on field performance.
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 08-15-2010, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2714 users online. 2 members and 2712 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X