Unit Turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Turn

I know the unit turn is a big thing these days, but in years gone back the unit turn was not so apparent - or at least not such a definite technical movement as it is with players today.

Take a look at this old clip of Laver. See how he flails the racket around as he moves around the court, which surely hinders a unit turn. And his unit turn isn't such a definite part of the shot as it is with players today. Take a look.

Stotty

I'd have to agree if you mean the opposite arm stretch, but I think you see Rod and the other older players initiate with the shoulder turn and keep the opposite hand on the racket. (Even if the racket dangles around before.) Look at that short one he misses. Of course I hate these type of clips because you can't go frame by frame but on that one his stretch is pretty strong.

Look at the Tilden forehands in the SA. He keeps both hands on the racket as he turns and brings that left arm fairly far across. When these guys are hitting a half volley approach they seem to most restrict the turn and the stretch.

The stronger fuller turn is likely, in my opinion, just a natural evolution in the power game.

Comment

I understand what you mean and agree. It's the less-of-a-non-hitting-arm-stretch with players of the past that makes the whole process of the unit turn look less defined than it is with the players of today.

And I don't think Rod would have the time to dangle his racket like he does were he a player in the modern game today. I find this a most peculiar trait of his.
      Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2715 users online. 6 members and 2709 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X