Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer Article and Racquet Head Drop

John,

My forehand grip is similar to Federer's, and that's not even intentional, but that's another story. At any rate, I'm known for hitting a lot of topspin, which is obviously surprising considering my grip. Based on analysing myself on video, I think I accomplish this by dropping the racquet head below the level of my hand (and also the ball) before I begin the forward swing. I guess you can say it's supination, or a wind up for the windshield wiper motion.

When I read your description of this in the Federer article, my eyes almost popped out of my head because I was so surprised to read you describing what I think is the same thing in, of all forehands, Federer's! All this time I've been considering it a major flaw in my forehand and one of the main reasons why I tend to have problems consistently hitting a solid ball. I can't tell you how much effort I've put into keeping the racquet parallel to the ground during the begining of the forward swing and not letting the racquet head dip.

So could it actually be a good thing that I'm doing? Or could it be that Federer happens to have the same bad habit and is just much better at dealing with it?

Maybe you could see what I'm talking about in the tape I sent. (Did you get it yet?)

Thanks,
    Vin

Hi Vin,
    I do about the same as you do. I find that the supination prior to hitting the ball, results in a greater pronation range. I like doing it, it really helps to get under the ball. Sometimes a lot of these things are just instinctive.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7931 users online. 6 members and 7925 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X