Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Forehand?

John,
    It seems to me that you like the Agassi forehand to copy b/c of its simplicity. Is that correct? Am I correct in saying that Agassi has a strong semi western forehand? How exactly would you describe that grip?
    KP

KP,

Yes. I like it. Strong semi-western is a good term (versus extreme semi-western of Roddick.) The grip is described in the first Federer FH article. I think Andre's heel pad is on the third bevel and his index knuckle is on four. But I like the Federer and even Sampras grips as much or more for most players.

If you're open level or higher and you are standing 10 feet back and playing chest high 75mph heavy topspin forehands--then the extreme grips at least make some sense. But for most people they are a little ridiculous.

It's not so much about Andre per se, though. It's more the elements. A compact backswing--I don't mind the inverted backswing like Federer at all. A full turn. The double bend hitting arm position. And extension at the finish. You can see these positions in a lot of players, not just AA. But we do have some great high speed footage of Andre I like to use in Your Strokes.

Comment

No one talks about the snap back fh, needing to be thrown backwards, not simply moved backwards, so that you are snapping back, and snapping forwards, to create the vicious whip lash all the top men have, and none of the women do.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3663 users online. 4 members and 3659 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X