Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to work through a block in your game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to work through a block in your game.

How to work through a block in your game:

Adverse emotions, such as yelling, anger, frustration, will cause the block to remain in place. Why is that? We become what we resist! By expressing/feeling them in the first place, anger, screaming, pain of the loss of our "good" self, our "master shot maker" self, ensures that the "good" self will not be able to emerge. It's caused by the blockage, usually, lack of fluidity and the right technique, and then, the emotions emerge: locking us into a vicious cycle: Blockage occurs, emotion occurs, and the adrenaline we feel, takes the place of all else: the endocrine system is flooded with fight or flight cocktails in the blood stream, blood pressure goes up, tightness goes up, rigidity in the body clock goes up when screaming, tightening, yelling, feeling angry! Your face screws up in agony, wrinkles occur all over the face, the voice is filled with the pain of loss of the "good" self.... These emotions and the endocrine cocktail produced by them, are addictive! Just like the positive emotional fluid: serotonin is addictive when we hit great shots.

Serotonin
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Serotonin (pronounced /ˌsɛrəˈtoʊnɨn/) or 5-Hydroxytryptamine (5-HT) is a monoamine neurotransmitter, biochemically derived from tryptophan, that is primarily found in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, platelets, and central nervous system (CNS) of humans and animals. It is a well-known contributor to feelings of well-being.

Approximately 80 percent of the human body's total serotonin is located in the enterochromaffin cells in the gut, where it is used to regulate intestinal movements.[1][2] The remainder is synthesized in serotonergic neurons in the CNS where it has various functions, including the regulation of mood, appetite, sleep, muscle contraction, and some cognitive functions including memory and learning. Modulation of serotonin at synapses is thought to be a major action of several classes of pharmacological antidepressants.

Serotonin secreted from the enterochromaffin cells eventually finds its way out of tissues into the blood. There, it is actively taken up by blood platelets, which store it. When the platelets bind to a clot, they disgorge serotonin, where it serves as a vasoconstrictor and helps to regulate hemostasis and blood clotting. Serotonin also is a growth factor for some types of cells, which may give it a role in wound healing.

Serotonin is eventually metabolized to 5-HIAA by the liver, and excreted by the kidneys. One type of tumor, called carcinoid, sometimes secretes large amounts of serotonin into the blood, which causes various forms of the carcinoid syndrome of flushing, diarrhea, and heart problems. Because of serotonin's growth promoting effect on cardiac myocytes, persons with serotonin-secreting carcinoid may suffer a right heart (tricuspid) valve disease syndrome, caused by proliferation of myocytes onto the valve.

In addition to animals, serotonin is also found in fungi and plants.[3] Serotonin's presence in insect venoms and plant spines serves to cause pain, which is a side effect of serotonin injection. Serotonin is produced by pathogenic amoebas, and its effect on the gut causes diarrhea. Its widespread presence in many seeds and fruits may serve to stimulate the digestive tract into expelling the seeds.

Who becomes addicted to negative emotional blood cocktails? Everyone. All are addicted to these emotionally injected streams of fluid in our bodies. They make us play better and worse as well. The goal is not to hide our emotional reactions/fluid flows, it is to eliminate them with our own will power and decision. To adopt a neutral stance, almost as if you are watching someone else play from a distance. To see close things from a distance, (yourself) and far things (your opp.) close up.

Video can work wonders here. Watch yourself with a neutral eye: and accept the blockage as being what it is: something temporary that can change. No fluidity, is the usual culprit. Fluidity, pace of stick acceleration, can only occur with intention and acceptance of the lack of it! The pros strokes are so fluid. Even the shorter shots: volleys, returns, short blocks of powered deep shots, are fluid and freely struck.

The first step is to free yourself of the addiction to the block/s.

The second step is neutralized video analysis of the block/s.

The third step is to decide to eliminate addiction to the emotions causing the block to remain.

The fourth step is to reanaylize your attempt at creating fluidity in the blocked state with more video.

Be honest about who you are before you can become someone better!

So how do we create fluidity where there is none? Intend to. Video tape your self. Study your own shots. Study the videos on file here. Compare the two. "I will be more fluid. I will be faster in my reactions. I will move my feet faster. I will coil more freely.", will be your mantras.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 10-09-2010, 06:50 PM.

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for posting this. It contains a lot of valuable information. I have also found that controlling my emotions, staying relaxed, and having fun have dramatically improved my tennis game. I agree that there is a very strong link between emotional states and the fluidity of the body.

Blake

Comment

Thank you so much for saying that! It is a very strong link, and the reason most of us don't play as well in match/tournament play as regular practice. Fun can loosen us up, and match pressure is not fun for most of us.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9630 users online. 5 members and 9625 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X