DO NOT buy an ipad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DO NOT buy an ipad

If you want to use it for Tennisplayer.net that is.

I actually corresponded with Steve Jobs about this. Apple will not allow the ipad to read Flash (part of Steve's fight with Adobe) and those are the format obviously our animations. It's not just us--it won't see huge portions of the video currently on the web. Steve's answer to my questions about this was:
    "Sorry."

More disturbing, the ipad won't even recognize older Quick Time files (like the stroke archives) even though this is an Apple software and we have one of the deepest QT archives anywhere on the web.

So stick with a laptop for now. Some smart people tell me there may eventually be third party solutions, but for now the ipad is not functional for Tennisplayer.

John Yandell
    Last edited by johnyandell; 01-19-2013, 10:12 PM.

no go

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    If you want to use it for Tennisplayer.net that is.

I actually corresponded with Steve Jobs about this. Apple will not all the ipad to read Flash (part of his fight with Adobe) and those are our animations. It's not just us--it won't see huge portions of the video currently on the web.

More disturbing, the ipad won't even recognize older Quick Time files (like the stroke archives) even though this is an Apple software and we have one of the deepest QT archives anywhere on the web.

So stick with a laptop for now. Some smart people tell me there may eventually be third party solutions, but for now the ipad is not functional for Tennisplayer.

John Yandell
    I got one and took it back the next day. Wanted to take it on the court to show TP files and also to watch ATP matches on line. No go. I think there was some accomodation with Adobe recently, but it will be a while before the iPad gets those files. In the meantime, stick with the netbooks and tablets that get it. It's certainly ironic that you have to go off the Apple platform to be able to get to Quicktime files!

PS The new issue is awesome. Great article on the serve. And the music video of Federer's forehand is absolutely inspirational. I would like to have been able to show it to students on the court on that iPad. But I did download it and I can walk on the court with my MacBook and show it to them, but not the articles. And I gather, not on the iPhone either.

keep up the great work,
    don brosseau

Comment

No ATP matches either? Bizarre decision. On the articles you can save them as web pages but not including the flash animations, so yeah that isn't ideal either. When the world is fully wireless these problems will disappear. (And Steve Jobs comes to his senses.)

Comment

You can actually download, transfer, and watch the pro stroke videos on an iPad or iPhone. The recently released app VLC Media Player will play .mov files that have been transferred to the device.

1) Download the .mov file to your computer using Quicktime Pro (as detailed by JY's helpful tutorial).

2) Connect your idevice to your computer, open up iTunes, go to the Apps tab, scroll to the File Sharing Section, and select the VLC app, click the Add button, find/select the videos downloaded on your computer that you desire to watch on your idevice. (these same instructions also appear in the VLC app on your idevice).

Obviously it would be preferable to be able to view the Tennisplayer.net website in all its glory directly on the iPad, but this solution will at least allow iPad users to utilize some of the resources (with some advanced planning). There is also a third-party browser app awaiting approval from the Appstore that will supposedly convert Flash content to HTML5 content -- making such content directly viewable (hopefully) on the idevice.

Comment

What about the Nook ?

I was thinking of getting the $250 Nook from Barnes and Noble. Can I view everything on the site on that ?

Comment

Good question. No idea though. You need to be able to install flash player and quick time. Ask them about that.

Comment

Sperls,

Good info!

John Yandell

Comment

Blackberry Playbook?

Guys,

Pardon me for my naivete, for I am not the most tech savvy guy on this forum by a long shot...But I could not help but to bring up the new Blackberry Playbook. It is supposed to be the iPad rival. Apparently it will have the Adobe and Flash! Judging by some previous comments about the difficulty of getting the above mentioned programs to operate on the iPad, I think this could be a real possibility.

I'm sure some of you may have already looked into it. And I'm certain many of you have more tech gadget insights than me, but I thought it would be a thoughtful suggestion to your problems. Personally, If I spent all this money on an iPad and was unable to view tennisplayer.net's stroke archive I'd be a bit upset.
                I never really considered purchasing the iPad simply for the fact that the benefits of owning one never justified the cost and/or capabilities. But if the RIM Blackberry Playbook could assist me with aiding in my students games by viewing specific aspects of the TP.net site than I would really be interested. Plus, I'm sure it may have one or two other neat things about it...

I have spoken to and thanked Mr. Yandell for his great work and influence on my teachings and I highly respect all contributors insights into this project. Therefore, If and when I receive word of a fully functional, tennisplayer.net friendly "handheld computer tablet thing" (really showcasing my correct tech jargon ), I would make a concerted effort to purchase one simply for the betterment and a visual learning tool of my loyal students and to share with them the knowledge that Tennisplayer.net has been so consistently gracious in sharing with me.

Considering the fact that I only wanted to briefly mention the Blackberry Playbook as another option in three lines or less, I'm sorry for the long winded email. I always do this. LOL.

Sincerely,
                Kyle LaCroix USPTA

Comment

Samsung Galaxy

FYI, I went to Best Buy and tried to access the site with the Galaxy by Samsung which uses the Droid OS. The site came up rather quickly but it would not show any of the stroke archive clips. The guy at the store said that to his knowledge none of the tablets would run quicktime movies at this time. Looks like Sperls round about method is the only one that works, for now.

Comment

I'm sure you could download QT onto any PC tablet! Could be wrong but I doubt it. Anyone else have the final word on that??

Comment

Being in Switzerland, I can't buy the Skyfire browser in the iTunes shop yet, but apparently it offers a Flash video conversion. I assume it will soon also be available on the iPad. Maybe someone can test it.

http://www.2-soft.com/1920/mobile/sk...ash-for-iphone

Comment

Archos 10

I recently bought the Archos 10 and it is great for showing video on court. Supports all kinds of file formats and it is relatively cheap as well!
                        I can only highly recommend it.

FLorian Meier
                        Florian Meier
                        www.onlinetennisinstruction.com

Comment

Skyfire is now available in the Swiss iTunes shop. Got it, but the videos in Tennisplayer.net can't be viewed...

Comment

For Phil

Did you see new posts in section related to a toss of serve?

Comment

Steve Jobs doesn't want us to learn.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7912 users online. 6 members and 7906 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X