My string reviews.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My string reviews.

Today I restrung, crosses only: blue gear, vs mains, in an h22, and in a pt57a/alu mains, low tens. on alu, and high on vs team. Will hit with soon. 11/5/2010

Pro supex blue gear, was the latest hybrid I tried: bg 1.23mm/vs team 16g

Tens> 50lbs bg mains, with last string on each side up to 60lbs to combat knot loss, vs team 16g: first three strings down from top: 60lbs, next 4-8 crosses down: 50lbs, and the rest: 60lbs: in an h22 at 370g.

Review: spin/control ratio was among the best I've ever exp., for about an hour, then the nubs wore off the bg, and it became an ordinary string job.

Also tried it with forten sweet syn gut as cross, in a pt57A, at 360g. Very similar, but not as much power, and control was not as good, unless you hit the sweet spot dead on. Best for those who can restring often, and don't care about the cost of doing so.

vs team 17g/blackcode 18g: Best for serve/volley touch/power: h22 360g.

Alu power/barb wire 1.25mm: Great pocketing feeling, but nubs wear off the barb wire and the alu goes too slack too early.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-05-2010, 09:51 PM.

Blue gear vs team 17g was awesome. Bg/1.23mm/bg 1.19mm was crushing spin. Did an experiment: mains bg 1.23mm at 50lbs/crosses bg 1.19mm: first three from top down: 65lbs, next 4-9 down: 48lbs, rest: 65lbs. Deadly spin, great control, good power in a pt57a, at 355g. Spin caused errors just straight at them.

Next I'm going to try bg ultra 1.23mm, which is supposed to be softer than bg. I will stick it into an apd orig., the stick Nadal uses, a full job, with similar tens. ⎛【】, and see what kind of crazy spin that creates. The open string pattern: 16 x 19, is more spin oriented, than the 18 x 20 patterns. I will also stick it into the h22, and the pt57a that I have, as full job, to see the effects.. Murray uses a pt57a, with a 16 x 19 drill pattern, alu mains/vs team crosses.... Bg: http://tinypic.com/r/wvoosw/7 blue gear side shot
    blue gear shot
    It's erroneously listed as hexagonal, but as you can see for yourselves, this is an 8 sided string, with some serious nubs. The ultra is bg, but twisted, like barb wire. Bg is sup. in tens. loss, spin, and durability, than the other top spin strings such as spiky shark, spp hex, spp tornado, msv hex, barb wire, tour bite. My goal is to find a main, that I can reuse, and just redo the crosses, after the tens. loss occurs, which for me, is usually within 1/2hr-1.5hr, no matter which string I use, except for vs team gut mains, which retain tens. better than any other I've tried... The problem with vs team mains, is, they don't last long, and are very $. So, they also don't provide as much spin as bg or bg ultra will. Being an all courter, I need touch as well as ground stroke kick/druck.

The reel of barb wire I got for sale now, just did not have enough feel. I'll bet you could make some tubing, that surrounds the crosses, and provides super spin, if the tubing was textured and replaceable as it wore off.

Gilles Simon pt57a sticks, with intellitour: simon's pt57a from 09 http://img225.imageshack.us/i/dsc2103m.jpg/
    My pt57a sticks: pt57 a 1.

Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-16-2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8340 users online. 8 members and 8332 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X