Interactive Forum November 2010: John Isner: Forehands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum November 2010: John Isner: Forehands

This month we are posting Roger Federer's forehand in our new High Speed Archive, but let's take a look at some more of this incredible high speed footage and study the forehand of John Isner. What do you see? Any similarities or differences compared to Roger? What else?

John Isner: Forehands in High Speed, High Def

Last edited by johnyandell; 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM.

Quicktime versions

John Isner: Forehands in High Speed, High Def

Comment

Like another serve

It looks like he jumps a little into the shot and contacts it out front about shoulder height with a semi-western grip. Since he is already 6 ft 10 that means that he is contacting his forehand about the same height that Justine Henin hits her serve. So he is really hitting down on the ball almost like another serve. In the era of high bouncing topsin players this is a real asset. I think he's definitely in line to take over as the number one U.S. player. Apparently he is the one guy that Nadal looks for in the draw. I have a technical question. Is there any windshield wiper move in this forehand ? It looks too me like he's coming over the ball and through. The racquet seems to be facing downward at impact. I don't notice much of a wiper compared to some of the other top players.

Comment

it's interesting that his hands are close to shoulder height during the preparation phase of his swing which is pretty high compared to the rest of us!

Comment

Hitting arm.

One difference I see is: Isner has more of a double bend in his hitting arm, where as Federer has more of a straight arm? This arm position seems to vary quite a bit between players and shots.

As a coach it is sometimes difficult to asses a good double bend vs hitting too close to the body- am I crazy?

Another difference between the two is: Isner seems to release his wrist a little earlier.

Comment

No you aren't crazy--at least on this point! The spacing varies from shot to shot and player to player and with the grip as well, so assessing the exact shape of the double bend is an art for a given moment...

Comment

Isner' s forehand

It does look very simple and compact, great balance on the run! The follow through is a little shorter, the racket seems to stop when goes around the left shoulder. I do like the initial upper body turn keeping the racket between his shoulders. Regarding the follow through issues, I have seen all kind of finishes! there is not one absolute way to do it! many factors, such: grips, tactical intention, position on the court, point of contact, personal preferences, style, etc. I am totally disagree when some "gurus" preach one type of follow through for the forehand! Some like high finish (Djokovic, Berdich, Del Potro, Williams) , others a little lower ( Rafa, Roger, Melzer, etc) . Happy Holidays to all!!!

Comment

I think the timing of his shoulder rotation and the forward swing is not as good as someonelike federer

Comment

straight arm Fh....

I bet if we looked at video of most of Isner's Fh we would see the double bend or the elbow in Fh. If we look at most of Fed's Fhs, we see the straight arm or leverage Fh. I know someone mentioned that before. I wanted to agree with that person and also mention tendencies. Which one do you teach?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8190 users online. 7 members and 8183 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X