Question To Kerry......slice Backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question To Kerry......slice Backhand

in trying to improve the slice backhand would you advocate trying a slice backhand with an open stance???

Asking for trouble there, as the wrist fights itself with a 1hbh open stance.

Comment

open stance slice BH

HI Kerry here. Yes I would advocate hitting a slice backhand with an open stance. Again footwork is the foundation of the whole game. If you take a look at Murray he often lines up his slice off the left foot then slides the right towards the ball as he swings forward. This action creates strong hip alignment and can help solidify the wrist position. The other thing that can be causing the wrist collapse is the fact the the shoulder alignment is being lost as you swing forward causing you to catch the ball late. Keep the shoulder alignment perpendicular to the net all the way through to the finish of the stroke. I hope this helps.
      Good luck,
      Kerry Mitchell.

Comment

BH slice Open stance

Kerry here again. Take a look at the stroke archives for Andy Murrays slice BH. You will see both cross over steps before the swing and also ones that I described earlier. The closer you can get to the ball with the back foot the more control you will have. Particular take a look at his shoulder alignment at contact and in the follow through. If he is pushed real wide his back is facing the net(chest facing the back fence) when he finishes the stroke.
        Good luck,
        Kerry Mitchell.

Comment

[QUOTE=If you take a look at Murray he often lines up his slice off the left foot then slides the right towards the ball as he swings forward. [/QUOTE]

But he doesn't hit off an open stance...just prepares...is this what you mean, Kerry?
          Stotty

Comment

Every bh slice of Murrays I looked at in the archive was from a closed stance... Asking for inconsistency with an open stance, with any 1hbh shot, esp. if you don't step into it. Yeah, the right hip opens up first with any good 1hbh, but the coil starts closed... If it starts open, you have to make all adjustments with the wrist alone, while on the move, instead of using your core to apply the shot....Lots of beginners hit this way, with open hips on the bh, and end up with no power and no consistency, for this single reason, the coil was non existent to start with.
            Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-23-2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8054 users online. 4 members and 8050 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X