No announcement yet.

Roger Vs Rafa Today Final London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree about Federer's movement. Syncopated is an interesting way to describe it. For me he simply floats and glides - not quite as brilliantly as Nastase, but not far off it.
    Stotty

Comment

Float like a butterfly; sting like a bee

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      I agree about Federer's movement. Syncopated is an interesting way to describe it. For me he simply floats and glides - not quite as brilliantly as Nastase, but not far off it.
      Stotty,
      while Ilie may be the greatest floater we have ever seen, don't you think Roger has more sting? Either way, they are in a special class.

Question for everyone out there? Who else floats or has floated as lightly as those two? This is not just a question of speed. I'm talking about making the game look easy when you are going full speed. And making it look like fun.

In the 70's there was one woman I really wanted to watch: Goolagong. Didn't like her strokes particularly, but I loved the way she moved on the court. I'm not sure I've ever seen another woman move like that.

Moving to the net, Edberg was pretty special. Another who is always forgotten is Panatta. When he was in shape, he was fabulous on any surface, but he didn't seem to have the drive. I think he beat Borg at Roland Garros, not sure.

In a way, when he was playing well, Pancho Gonzales was kind of like that, but he didn't really float; his movement was more catlike. Beautiful nonetheless.

Sampras was really smooth when he was bludgeoning his opponent with that serve and Navratilova was similarly dominant, but they didn't really "float" like Goolagong.

Another few of you will remember was the Sao Paolo Swallow, Maria Bueno. But I'm showing my age.

Curious what the rest of you think...
      don

Comment

Floating is a rare quality and the perfect way to move on a tennis court. It's a gift and cannot be taught.

I seem to remember Mecir was a silky mover for a big man.
        Stotty

Comment

His backhand crosscourt was ridiculous. He really went for them and the angle was a great play. Normally if he uses that angle he opens up the court to the Rafa forehand but Rafa couldn't deal with it today or else it was a winner. Also, I thought his forehand was back to it's best and quite exceptional. He hit alot of winners from it, or so it seemed, I haven't seen the stats but just by observation it won him alot of points.
          As many have pointed out the serve was key. The only reason he lost that second set in my opinion is because he played that lousy service game making only one first serve I think? It then returned to him and in the third set it was like it was in the first. As others have said aswell the slice out wide to the Rafa backhand was exceptional. He was winning alot of free points from that serve.

On a side note, did you enjoy Ireland, John? Was great to finally meet you in person.

Comment

Oh yeah. Had a great time. And nice to meet you. How did people like the conference?

Comment

Split steps are often the hall mark of great players. I also saw maria bueno play in the Oakland collessium. Fed floats, very wide. The split step is a float step for him. It's the first link in the defense of the contact point. Fed attacks his contact point so smoothly, so often, rather than defending it, which he does on bh returns, with a cc slice from the ad side.

Comment

By "syncopated" I mean that his second step comes faster than you think it will, stealing time back. The rhythm isn't what you'd expect.

As for "floaters" watch Laver's split step when he approaches. He was so strong and light!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8248 users online. 8 members and 8240 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X