Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attacking Lulling or Defending your contact point.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attacking Lulling or Defending your contact point.

Lull-jam-finish, whether you are defending or attacking or lulling, the contact point has to be similar.. The contact point for groundies, has to be felt in your stroke, ahead of time, regardless of defense/offense.

You have to feel the net in the shot, to clear it.

It has to be in front.

You cannot allow the ball to go past your contact point, or the shot will be iffy. It's all about arriving in time to defend your contact point.

Attacking the contact point is offense. Sometimes you cannot arrive in time to attack the point, but you can always defend the point with arm/hand speed.. Lull shots also have to be struck at the same place that jammed shots are struck or finish shots are struck. Maybe not full weight transfer on lull. Slower balls you have to wait for, such as weak serves. Faster balls you have to speed up to meet, such as well struck serves/groundies. It's still in front on all shots that are struck well.

Which net?

Originally posted by geoffwilliams View Post
    Lull-jam-finish, whether you are defending or attacking or lulling, the contact point has to be similar.. The contact point for groundies, has to be felt in your stroke, ahead of time, regardless of defense/offense.

You have to feel the net in the shot, to clear it.
    You are right that you have to visualize the shot clearing the net to have a chance of actually doing it on a consistent basis. But the net you have to visualize clearing, most of the time, is an imaginary one at least 3 feet beyond the actual net and a good foot higher than the actual net. Otherwise your shots are going to land short in the court. Visualize your shot reaching the apex of its trajectory on the opposite side of the net and the actual net ceases to be a significant barrier and stops exerting so much pressure on you. The more you progress in the game, the more this principle becomes important; depth becomes more and more important. Of course, variety and short angles become important too. I would argue that even though those balls have a much lower imaginary net to clear, they still reach their apex on the opponents side of the net - except for the angle dive-bomber passes.

What do you think? Geoff? Anybody?
    don

Comment

It depends on whether you want to be offensive: 2' or less, or defensive, but you have to feel that in the string bed in each shot. When we are playing our best, this feeling is very strong.

Comment

It depends on whether you want to be offensive: 2' or less net clearance, or defensive, 2-8' clearance, but you have to feel that in the string bed in each shot. When we are playing our best, this feeling is very strong! So many of our shots die there. The best players cover their contact points, as a strategy, not just, thoughtlessly stroking the ball.
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-29-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Actually I prefer to concentrate on visualizing and focusing on the contact point, trying to keep the head stable... indirectly, I imagine where the shot goes...

Comment

Like the thread, like the observations. As I'll have to admit, my bias towards a more contact oriented system of learning. The number one rule on my court, is that regardless of situational context, (directional movement, stance choice, position in the court,etc) the racquet must be produced at that certain point in space and time.(CP) And I've found the whole "defending" the contact point concept, to be invaluable with students. As it helps correct and clarify many timing and stance related issues/questions.

Also like the trajectory control emphasis. Don't even know how one can be accurate/consistent without learning to ''flight" the ball on different trajectories.
            Last edited by 10splayer; 11-30-2010, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post
              Like the thread, like the observations. As I'll have to admit, my bias towards a more contact oriented system of learning. The number one rule on my court, is that regardless of situational context, (directional movement, stance choice, position in the court,etc) the racquet must be produced at that certain point in space and time.(CP) And I've found the whole "defending" the contact point concept, to be invaluable with students. As it helps correct and clarify many timing and stance related issues/questions.

Also like the trajectory control emphasis. Don't even know how one can be accurate/consistent without learning to ''flight" the ball on different trajectories.
              I love it when they get it, and just do what you mentioned. Some kids are very fast learners, and some just can't learn at all. Don't you love it when someone generously articulates, what you knew all along, and wish you knew when you were starting up?

"Defending the contact point." "Feel the net in your stroke." "Flight the ball onto its correct trajectory." Now those are some things I wish I'd heard at 9yrs. old!
              Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8081 users online. 6 members and 8075 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X