Exhibitions: Are they staged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhibitions: Are they staged?

Would anyone know if exhibitions are staged or fixed? Are we seeing a genuine match, or are they deliberately going to 3 sets? Maybe agreeing to win one set each then playing to win in the third?

How does it work, anyone know?
    Stotty

Bingo!

Exhibitions are staged. At least the vast majority of them are. It's hard to say every one is. But if you are referring to Roger-Rafa, then I'd have to say absolutely. Either that, Or it's just an amazing coincidence that each exhibition match between Roger and Rafa went three full sets to give people their money's worth and happened to be won by the player whose home country it was held in. Remember the battle of surfaces? The court was half clay, half grass. It was played in Mallorca.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9IvkiL0Ji4

Won by Nadal...in 3 sets. During the post match interviews, Federer hinted at a possible rematch (pay day) back home in Switzerland.

Exhibitions are great and alot of fun to watch. Some points are hit and giggle and some points, especially towards the end of sets may be upped a level. No players ever really look that serious as there are moments of laughter and joking. Something you rarely see during a meaningful match on the tour. Watch a replay of the Zurich match, look at the players body language. It was even billed as a "Good-natured match".

I hope I don't sound too much like a killjoy or squashing your dream of a legendary bout between tennis greats giving everything they have, but the month of December and other open spaces in a tour calender are packed with exhibitions featuring top players. Many organizers pay large amounts to have that star player showcase some shot making skills while entertaining tennis fans and usually benefitting some good cause, or sometimes no cause, just promoting tennis. Either way, its great to drum up PR for tennis in the offseason (all 5 weeks of it.)

If anyone has any other info or opinions I'd love to hear them. I don't mean to sound like an ass or a know-it-all because I'm far from it, but living in South Florida I've seen tons of exos with high caliber players and even volunteered and organized a few of these events. Lots of fun, but not as genuine as you may hope. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable, wiser veterans of this forum could give you many stories. Some of when exos were fixed and friendly, but turned ugly. Others of when exos were played flawlessly leaving spectators in awe of "the real thing".

Comment

Some of the tickets for the match in the Hallenstadium in Zurich were selling for $2000. With 10'000 spectators, you can't have a fast match, obviously. And with two of the nicest players on tour, they will go along.

Imagine if one of the players had been Pancho Gonzalez... no way, he'd go all out for blood...

Comment

Yes, Pancho was bribed by Kramer to take it easy on the newbies as joined the pro tour. He could beat them all embarrassingly easily.
        Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8133 users online. 7 members and 8126 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X