Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic serve - foot positioning

Hi John.

I've read a few of you articles, especially few from the myth section, where you argue, that players, should learn to land on the left foot.

I'm a beginner with my serve, and have too many mistakes to deal with. I tried to jump into the serve (probably incorrectly), and this wasn't very successful. So I tried to implement the old school serve, when the right foot goes from behind and all the way forward, and you land on it, and it works.

I need something to start with. I want to have a basic serve so I can build on top of it. Should I spend more time and afford in the beginning to make sure I hope into the serve (at the expense of other things), or should I land for now on the right foot, and concentrate on fixing other flows.

Thank you very much.

It's hard to really say much with certainty without seeing your motion. Have you considered sending in some video for Your Strokes?

Definitely the leg action and left foot landing is not a jump. It's an uncoiling from the kneed bend. If it was a jump the good players would be two feet in the air.

The step thru with the right foot can affect the timing, the contact point and body rotation. I understand though about the need to develop the basics and not focus on too many things at once.

My best suggestion is to hit with a square stance with no foot movement. That will also help you develop a consistent toss. Get a little flex in your knees--you may start using the advanced footwork naturally.

Comment

John, one more question, same topic

Thank you very much for replay.

There is no video to send, since I've just been start working on my serve, it it not even close to basic serve . I don't have natural eye-hand coordination, so it takes me longer to train my body to do "the right thing", then others players

When I "hop" as a result of uncoiling body, does my right foot moves close to the left foot (I'm not talking about pinpoint stance) and then kicks back, or it should kick back almost right away, once it in the air. Or what ever, as long as I have a right end result.

Thank you very much.

P.S: I've learn so much from your site, I feel like a tennis expert now
      Last edited by leon; 06-04-2005, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Don't think about moving it closer. Visualize the kick back as soon as you get into the air.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8007 users online. 2 members and 8005 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X