To two step or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To two step or not

Aloha John, am enjoying your site very much. The stroke archives are most useful and many of the articles confirm much of my teaching methodology.
    I am a USPTA, P-1, resort teaching pro on Maui. My question concerns the teaching of the volley. I am a long time convert to the two step volley and teach it exclusively. I use the verbage "classic" technique and "modern" game technique in seperating the cross over step volley and the twostep volley. When demonstrating the differnce between the two volleys i also classify the cross over volley as a beginner/novice theory and the two step as advanced theory. My question to you is which do you teach. And if you teach one method over the other how do you sell it? Do you think there are more pros teaching the classic vs the modern?

One thing i do know, 99% of the players that take a lesson/clinic from me to improve their net play, are doing the cross over volley. Of course the two step volley makes them better straight away, but thats a topic for another time.

Thank you for your reply.

Please specify whether other people can respond as well

Originally posted by maui10s View Post
    Aloha John, am enjoying your site very much. The stroke archives are most useful and many of the articles confirm much of my teaching methodology.
    I am a USPTA, P-1, resort teaching pro on Maui. My question concerns the teaching of the volley. I am a long time convert to the two step volley and teach it exclusively. I use the verbage "classic" technique and "modern" game technique in seperating the cross over step volley and the twostep volley. When demonstrating the differnce between the two volleys i also classify the cross over volley as a beginner/novice theory and the two step as advanced theory. My question to you is which do you teach. And if you teach one method over the other how do you sell it? Do you think there are more pros teaching the classic vs the modern?

One thing i do know, 99% of the players that take a lesson/clinic from me to improve their net play, are doing the cross over volley. Of course the two step volley makes them better straight away, but thats a topic for another time.

Thank you for your reply.
    Please specify whether other people can respond as well

Comment

Maui,

I'm assuming you've seen this?

Also check out Pat Cash's two awesome volley articles. And Bob Hansen's. These are all versions of the two step if I understand you correctly.

I've always taught that. Think the crossover or lunge step is at times obviously necessary, but it's not the norm you strive for.

PS: if you have questions for me--post them in my section. I don't always see them otherwise.

John Yandell

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8354 users online. 5 members and 8349 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X