Djokovic practicing how to serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Djokovic practicing how to serve

Rich Benvin, a former ATP tennis player and WTA coach, is one of the best tennis professionals teaching in both Delray Beach, Florida during the Winter and Denver, Colorado during the Summer. Rich offers private and group tennis lessons, team coaching, professional coaching and sparring sessions. Also, Rich is a business entrepreneur specializing in web site development, online marketing, social media management and consulting.

looks like that was with tod martin
    that didnt help much

Comment

I saw a video with Todd having Djokovic on his knees at the baseline practicing his serve and not liking it...

Comment

NOT very clear

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        I saw a video with Todd having Djokovic on his knees at the baseline practicing his serve and not liking it...
        Is it
        1) Djokovic not liking to be on his knee
        2) you NOT liking a tape
        3) all of above
        ?

Comment

You have to make generous guesses when you read anything! My guess is number one and I would argue for it to the death.

Comment

Right bottle... Djoko did not like it...

I found it again... here it is...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ywm916KQq8

Comment

wow phil thanks for the link
              i had read that novak didnt like being"foolish" in public
              you can tell that whatever todd was suggesting wasnt "natural " for novak
              i guess thats why it didnt work

Comment

The reason it didn't work

The reason it didn't work is when Todd does it, he puts the racket right up in the trophy position to start. If Todd was trying to emphasize hitting up (the usual reason for using that drill), he overlooked the fact that you can't take a downward backswing when you are on your knees. If he was trying to get Novak to shorten his backswing, then he needed to let him know that he couldn't have his racket go down at all. It doesn't look like he has done that.

Maybe this is part of a learning progression that Todd used when he was learning to play, but I doubt he has used it with many students. Sometimes it's a little dangerous when "coaches" who were players try to get to the level of developing technique. I don't blame Novak for being uncomfortable. He's being made to look foolish and it doesn't appear that Todd has given him a clear idea of what he wants Novak to do.

Comment

I think todd was trying to take away all the muscles in djokovic's body other than his arm so he can feel the motion

looks like he uses his body alot and doesnt really hit it

Comment

A stupid thing to do, to get a guy like joker on his knees, and embarrass him in front of a crowd, and on video!

Comment

well if you look at djokovic's server at the aus open it looks like a far better / natural movement with his elbow reaching the trophy position

seems like a really good drill to me and djokovic talked about his serve improving
                      Last edited by bowt; 02-02-2011, 05:54 AM.

Comment

That on the knees serving drill seems to work better at getting a feel of the proper motion when you do it on both knees instead of just one knee.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8638 users online. 6 members and 8632 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X