Is Milos Raonic the New "Best Server"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Milos Raonic the New "Best Server"

After watching Raonic's coming out party at the Australian Open, then seeing him live yesterday at the SAP, I think he may be the latest 'best server in tennis'.

Doesn't "just" hit 140 MPH bombs, he hits every serve, to every spot with an effortless motion. Ridiculous twist, reliable slice at 120+ .. and he has a full-court game, comes to the net off run-around forehands ... fun to watch.

I posted some photos here (this looks like the same inline editor as Tennis Warehouse, and I can't figure out how to embed pics on either, sorry)

Look at the pronation and the shoulder bend:

http://www.fawcette.net/2011/02/milo...-in-video.html For those who are interested in his serve: a slo mo analysis.

He uses a K blade 98, stock, according to a stringer, with it looks like to me, a K Blade 98 pj, 18 x 20 pattern with Luxilon M2 Pro at 42/44lbs, says Shane Mikic, from Brisbane Aus. He places the frame way past the toss, and under it, and then pronates his forearm straight down like Sampras used to, with a high elbow like Sampras, chest facing the back fence like Sampras, string bed facing the side fence at snap through, using a much more powerful frame. I have two of them, leaded to 360 strung, and they are stiff and powerful, a servers frame for sure. He is 6'6", and very quick, a sure top ten player inside this year. Kid can serve bombs, due to the very quick snap off, not particularly good leg drive but he still gets up, or shoulder turn, but huge voltage produced by the pronation over every thing else. He copied this guy:
    sampras french open
    sampras serve
    sampras serve oh
    sampras serve sideways
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Lux. m2 pro comments from tw:
      Comments: I definitely think this string has its ups and downs, especially as time passes by. I currently have a full string bed of these set up on my Pure Drive Cortex (not that GT crap) at 58lbs. This is my second "session" of having these strings on my racquet (each session about 3-4 months long). In my opinion, I think it's about time to change up my choice in strings, it's not at all that the strings are bad, in fact I remember the second time I got on the court with these on, she was a thing of beauty, (first time was sorta stiff). But, with time, these strings lose their playability by a lot. You may say, that's the same with all strings on the market, but this one's got a sharp drop in playability after a slow increase in it. Think of it this way:first time-decent, nothing impressive rest of the first month-great spin, power (especially on pure drive), control (even on the pure drive) and it's only getting better. 2nd month-it's already reached its peak in the first month and you don't see anything special from it anymore 3rd,4th month-decent decrease in performance Also, I don't know who these people are that say it keeps moving around. They definitely strung it at a terrible tension then, mine is definitely not at the same tension as it originally was, but I maybe have to re-adjust it.. once a match, and I'm a fairly hard hitter with spin.
      (4.5 NTRP, Babolat PureDrive Cortex)

Comments: I really like this string. It has nice feel and really great control. The only bad thing is that I broke it in 4 days.

Comments: The best string I have ever played with. The product description is absolutely true. It is soft on lighter shots and provides excellent control on harder ones. This string provides great control when hitting serves and groundies from the baseline and the best touch and feel on volleys that I have ever experienced. I have in strung at 58 lbs on my Head Pure Competition (102 Sq in head size).

Comments: Possibly the greatest string ever - has all the power and awesome spin production of Alu Power except in a softer and more versatile package. It is amazing on full blooded shots and has superior touch on volleys. It does take a day for the strings to settle in after stringing and when they do, they simply don't move and always return to place. Due to the softness they can be strung a tad tighter than most regular polys and have great durability. Highly recommended.

Comments: Strung this racquet at 55 lbs on my Aeropro Drive Gt and it didn't live up to my expectations. These strings produce a fair amount of power but lacks a little on the topspin side. The strings are too soft but probably recommended for flat hitters.

Comments: A great product if you like to rearrange your strings between every point. They move like CRAZY on my Head MicroGel Prestige, so much so that I've decided to just cut them out and write this one off as trial and error. Luxilon missed the boat on this one. This is definitely no Big Banger. Decent response and power, but not worth all the repositioning you'll have to do between shots! Strung at 62 lbs.

Comments: The best string that I have used - have my Rebel 95's strung with this at 58lb and it is godly!! Love hitting out with the ball, which produces an excellent amount of spin and I have not got any arm pain from this at all. I have used the same set for a month now and I haven't experienced the noticeable tension loss that others have mentioned. I found it best when strung at mid to high tension, then you get the real benefit of this Lux masterpiece. All Alu Power uses owe it to themselves to give this string a go -this is my replacement for Alu Power.

Comments: I strung it on my Ficher M Pro 98 as a part of hybrid together with Tecnifibre X-One Bi-Phase (on crosses), and considering that I usually string with it Luxilon BB Rough, I think I could compare it quite well. The tension was 57lbx57lb, and when I started warming up from the half-court I felt like it was a few lb less ... however when I started hitting the ball harder it was coming back to the usual feeling of 57lb. I know its exactly what has been advertised, but changes in tension creeped me out, so as I was about to play a match I took another racquet simply to keep myself focused. I should give it another chance, but it was an interesting first experience.

Comments: Great string. Got 2 Kpro Tour rackets from TW strung with this string. I really like this string. It has good power, spin, and is easy on the arm.

Comments: Great string if you are looking for a slightly softer version of big banger ALU. It has the typical Luxilon stiff feel and great spin potential. I have played with it twice and have not noticed the dead feeling that occurs after playing with Big Banger ALU 3-4 times. Its been a good string so far. However, don't think this is a true arm friendly string as it is being marketed. Its arm friendly compared to other Luxilon and poly based strings, but its still Luxilon. I strung it as a hybrid with natural gut on the cross strings and is still much stiffer than using a string such as prince synthetic gut.

Comments: I usually like Luxilon strings, but with this, the 1st hitting session is very very stiff, you tend to lose a lot of power and ball bite. Hurts the arm. Then comes the 2nd session, the tension drops well over 2-3 lbs, making the shots uncontrollable, spins are difficult to get and ball will fly out. String is softer alright, but if you string it 2 lbs less for the first session, you will be way under in the second session. I will let you know how the 3rd session goes if I do not cut it first. Quite un-usable....

Comments: I'm a NCAA college player with lots tennis experience in all sorts of strings and racquets. I decided to try the M2, it's so much better then the Luxilon ALU Power. This string is perfect, much softer on the arm and great for control shots, power shots and spin are excellent too. If your good player then tension loss isn't even noticeable. Good job Luxilon keep up the good work.

Comments: These are the good strings for spin. I mix them with pro hurricane tour 16 on the mains and cross with M2 crosses. I string them at 56 and the mains I string them at 57. It is a good deal to buy!

Comments: These are good strings for spin. I mix them with Pro Hurricane Tour 16 on the mains and cross with M2. I string them at 56 on the crosses and 57 on the mains. This string is a good deal.

Comments: Great control string, allows you to hit without holding back. Great spin and feel. Excellent baseline shots and control for net play. Plays very well when fresh but doesn't hold tension for long. Also not very durable for a poly. Lasts about 2 days of solid playing for me, 1st day is excellent, 2nd day is okay. If I don't play on it for a day, it loses too much tension, becomes less lively and harder to control. Not as stiff as most polys, but not extremely soft either. Kind of expensive for me as its about $60 in string a week, but worth it sometimes. I won't play on this string every day, but I will be sure to keep a couple sets at home. It's not the easiest to string, but take your time and don't kink it and you'll be fine. Head Prestige Mid, 24.5 M/23.5 C kg. All around player.

Comments: This string is one of the best strings I've ever tried! If you are a hard hitter, this string is the one to use. Don't do a hybrid with this string.

Comments: Great string for the first 2 sets. After that tension drops like crazy. I even let it sit for 48 hours after stringing, which usually stops rapid tension loss after a couple sets for poly. Most spin I have ever hit with. Comfortable and a lot of ability to hit out. I strung at 54 in a Volkl DNX 10 Mid and it was wonderful for the first two sets. I got it as a free sample and I would not pay 20 dollars for it due to the huge drop in tension. Otherwise, a great string.

Comments: This was a very unique string to try out. It feels like a poly/syn gut hybrid all in one string. Great spin and power is great on high racquet speed shots and very forgiving on low racquet head speed shots. The tension maintenance is just not there with this string. I had it strung at 57# but should've went up to low 60s. Tension dropped significantly after the first hitting session. Power went from being controllable to a semi rocket launcher. I'd recommend this string to double players because it has very good pop and control at the net.

Comments: Put this in at 59 lbs after a few years of Big Banger Original in my Flexpoint Prestige Mid and current Microgel Prestige Mid. A little too tight the 1st session - will go with 58 or 57 the next time - but on the 2nd hit really started feel the added spin with no loss of the usual Big Banger power. Another winner from Luxilon for the advanced player...
      From: Mark, 4.5 NTRP, all courter, Redondo Beach, CA, USA. 2/09

Comments: Those of you who said it felt like a plank of wood, you are correct, however, all polyester based strings will feel this way. Also all polyesters will lose significant tension after a week of hitting.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7953 users online. 4 members and 7949 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X