Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So much to watch!

Originally posted by bottle View Post
    But rather focus on the receiver's racket work. Just thought I'd throw that in before confessing to various crimes. The writer of # 11 is our grass court owner from New Jersey, the one and only Ochi, who used to contribute so much to these pages. When I entitled that post "From a Friend" I wasn't kidding, and I suppose I should have enclosed everything in quotation marks. But such marks were already spread through Ochi's comment, and I would have had to change them all into apostrophes! But now Don has posed me a question on the material, and since I haven't had time yet to purchase Trabert's book through a good used book dealer, I can pursue my deception no longer and must relay Don's specific question to Ochi. Even the part about the giant squid was pure Ochi, not pure Bottle, although it was a pretty good imitation! Listen. I've taught English. And the big thing we American Lit majors do is crack down on plagiarism, no excuses accepted or excepted, can't remember which.

As for the idea of watching a doubles opponent's racket rather than the ball
    departing from yourself after you hit it, that came from Pat Blaskower's
    THE ART OF DOUBLES, a book I just got although Ochi suggested that everybody at TennisPlayer purchase it about two years ago.

I steal and want to steal more-- I confess, I confess, I confess!
    I'm not familiar with Pat Blaskower's book, but just be sure you complete your shot before you look up. Another interesting part of where to watch in doubles is for the receiver's partner. Call the long line on the serve, then focus immediately on the opposing net man. If the return passes him, then follow the ball to the other player. Then you see the poach coming at you a little sooner if it should happen.

don

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

What I like about these old photos is that the movement is simplified by the no jumping rule. I like Pancho Gonzalez's serve as a model as well...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7926 users online. 3 members and 7923 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X