Interactive Forum March 2011: Elena Dementieva: Backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

natural finishes

what do I favor for finishes? It depends on the grip, and the type of spin that the player is attempting to put on the ball. A player with an Eastern forehand grip will naturally finish over the shoulder more naturally than a player with a Western grip . . even though they both try to flip their wrist over the ball the same way. Instead of teaching so much where the finish should end, tennis coaches should focus more on exactly what the strings are doing at impact. The follow through should be a natural result of efforts at impact. But too many of today's players unnaturally force a predetermined finish, without enough respect for what their strings are doing to the ball at contact point.

Nadal does not always have the same follow through. It depends on how early or late he catches the ball, how far away he is from the ball, and whether he is mostly going for topspin or sidespin. His trademark follow through is often the result of the combination of his somewhat big backswing, his contact point that is sometimes not out in front, and his frequent sidespin (rather than topspin). Rafa is worried about what his strings are doing to the ball. Rafa does not obsess about his follow through.

Sometimes there should be almost no follow through or contact. . .because sometimes it is smarter to just vigorously bump the ball into an opening than it is to take a full, wild swing. Can you remember the great U.S. Open semi between Sampras & McEnroe, when Sampras won his first major (1991?)? Both players hit many magnificent passing shots by bunting the ball into openings. I still notice many points on the ATP & WTA when players hit winners with no or little follow through. Of course, I also notice many times when they blow the point by taking wild swings when all they had to do was bump the ball for a winner.

By the way, players can hit the ball very very very hard without following through, if they desire. Note many of Safin & Djokovic's backhands. The follow through and finish should be the result of what the strings are doing at impact point. If the players focuses too much on the finish, then the players is often only waving at the ball, with little control over the shot.

Comment

video of elena's mistake?, & she does not really extend

I look forward to reading the article, Myth of the Wrap. Thank you for your articles, and this great site. It is a great service.

Elena Dementieva hits many good backhands, but she can get better. I watched your nice slow-motion video, and in this swing, she contacts the ball well out in front, but she does not roll her swing forward over or through the ball. Instead, her strings go up on the ball, and her racket quickly turns on edge. From Elena's reaction to the stoke, she seems satisfied with her swing. But it is apparent to me that when she uses this technique, she can often make inconsistent errors, which she does. It is apparent that she might be subject to some of her balls ending up low in the net for no good reason, or going in unintended directions.

I can remember watching video of a NCAA Division I prospect with the head coach of a good NCAA Div. I team. The head coach loved the player's technique. I did not. I pointed out that the video only showed the player's swing, but not where the ball went, & certainly not where the ball went with respect to where the player was aiming.

The same thing could be said about the Dementieva video. Did she hit the ball where she was aiming? Also, just as a player can often learn more about his or her tennis game after a loss than after a victory, we as coaches sometimes can learn more about a tennis swing after the player's extreme unforced error than we can after the player's good shot. Many times Elena finishes fast over her shoulder with elbows high, but the ball goes near the bottom of the net. If we can see that swing on video, and where the ball ended up, then we can learn more about Elena's backhand.

Thank you again for the great service that you provide, John Yandell. Thank you so much.

Comment

Glad you are enjoying it.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2998 users online. 7 members and 2991 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X