No announcement yet.

Retro time: Bill Tilden Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well.... take Ellsworth Vines... I like him (especially his serve) much better....

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=4059

Comment

Phil, you're a hard man to convince! Your mind is set on this topic. But don't forget Tilden beat Vines seven times, not just once...and when he (Tilden) was in his 40s!

In a way, I feel the same as you but facts/results can't be discounted.

Don_Budge I feel the same as you about Prince changing the beautiful game. And yes clips are dreadfully misleading. You wouldn't rate Borg or Mac that much looking at clips today, yet Mac in his 40s beat leading players when he on occasion played them, including Tim Henman. So, yes, clips have been proven to be misleading time and time again.
      Stotty

Comment

All this proves to me, is that the other players were not really in good shape or athletic, even if they had better strokes - I have seen this happen at all levels of play. Tilden's strokes simply do not convince me...

Comment

Phil, I give up
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            Phil, I give up
            Don't mind me... it's only my opinion...

Comment

Don,
              I am 65. My first racket was a Wilson Jack Kramer autograph racket in 1955...
              I also remember the tennis shoes you mention Pancho played with, because I used to wear them too... and used to see the two Panchos train, when I was a kid...
              Last edited by gzhpcu; 03-28-2011, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3502 users online. 8 members and 3494 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X