Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pronation and use of the wrist when serving

There are two issues i want to discuss when serving:
    The first is pronation. Pronation is something that is biomechanical and (as long as the arm is relaxed)will occur without any use of muscle contraction. When I demonstrate pronation I tell the student that I am going to intensionally aim the edge of the racket at the ball and trust that natural pronation will turn the racket at the appropiate time within miliseconds of conatcting the ball.

Am I the only person who considers pronation as a natural biomechanical occurance?

The second issue is the release of the racket into the ball. Again I do not use muscle contraction. I delay the release until the forearm has reached it maximum extension and allow the racket to snap foreward into ball as if I was using a wip.

In my opinion both issues deal with achieving the most power without additional stress on the muscles in the arm or wrist.

I think most on this forum consider pronation (of the forearm, not that of the upper arm) is the consequence of a loose arm, which occurs naturally as biomechanical, low stress movement.

As far as the wrist is concerned, snapping the wrist consciously is still being debated.

However, by aiming high, keeping the arm loose, having a continental or eastern backhand grip, causes the racket to whip forward (the hitting arm practically slows down at the contact point).
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 03-23-2011, 11:54 PM. Reason: corrected pronation definition

Comment

Actually erbr, I suggest you read Brian Gordon's articles in the biomechanics section on the serve. His articles provide great insight and understanding in the complexity of the serve...

Comment

Pronation in this sense...

Comment

thanks

I learned from all your comments on pronation, and on the importance of the wrist. I heartily go along with what you all say about just letting it happen naturally. If the pupil is pronating naturally, or swinging well naturally, then if the instructor tries to tell the pupil what is technically right, the instructor might mess up the student. Only tell the student what the student actually needs.

I often study golf, baseball, table tennis, and other athletic or work movements, in order to come up with ideas that can help tennis pupils. Yes, the wrist is very important. Thanks.

Comment

I think the upper arm rotation is the driver for the forearm pronation which goes along for the ride...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2566 users online. 12 members and 2554 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X