Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Courier talking about his strings and his game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courier talking about his strings and his game.

From tennis.com:

Jim Courier:
    "Right now, I’m stringing with Gosen nylon in the mains and using Luxilon Big Banger ALU 16 gauge in the cross. Depending on the climate, my typical tension is about 54 pounds or so. I always played standard stock nylon. Gosen was my string, 16 gauge. I don’t really like gut. Tried it a few times, but it wasn’t for me. I didn’t really play with the co-polys until about three years ago. I started messing around with it. Guga was the first guy I was really aware of who started playing with the polyester string, so it was in the waning days of my career when it started to become popular. I really started to hear a lot about it in 2001 and 2002, when I was already off the ATP tour."

"What impact has string technology had on your game?"

"I think it’s made a huge difference. I’m not comfortable going full co-poly because I didn’t grow up using it, and what it really does is grip the ball to allow you to get a lot more spin. I’ve tried RPM, I’ve tried full Luxilon, I’ve tried a few different brands, but when I do the full Luxilon or full RPM, I feel I get too much spin and can’t finish points. I don’t play that grinding style of play anymore—I can’t afford to at my age—so I need to finish points more and flatten the ball out. For younger players, I totally get it. It’s pretty incredible to watch and has added a lot to the sport, for sure. But for me, to have the combination is perfect. I get a little bit more spin, a little bit more control, but I don’t lose the ability to flatten out my shots and finish with my serve and my forehand."

He doesn't say which gosen, just nylon, so it could be gosen jc, or og micro, or super og micro, I don't know. Can't get jc anymore, except in Europe.

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2732 users online. 15 members and 2717 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X