No announcement yet.

Your best and worst moments with a pro.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best and worst moments with a pro.

I was waiting by the player's entrance, at the old Transamerica tournament, in San Francisco, at the Cow Palace, with Harpreet Signh, in the late 1980s, who was the door montior. (Harpreet was a local player/stringer)

It was a night match against Vitas G. It was dark outside, at the old Cow Palace. It was a side entrance, with a single unobtrusive doorway, guarded by Harpreet Singh, a playing buddy, norcal area. Mac appeared out of the darkness of the parking lot, with his bag over his left shoulder, wearing a shiny bright pink satin warm up suit. I said, "Hey, Mac!"
    He said, "F u ck you!", and shoved me aside, and went into the side door entrance. Wow, I thought. That is such a gay looking pink satin warm up suit!

During his match, against Vitas, I hooted like a monkey when he was *****ing about a call, and he screamed sort of toward the direction it came from towards the crowd, (he was off by about 75'), "You and your mother, Pal!" A true assshoole. He went against everyone, the ref, me, the crowd, his opponent, at all times. I guess horse steroids will do that to you. It was all about psych domination with him, and they changed the rules, after he and Nasty took things too far, delaying matches for as long as 10 minutes. Hey Mac, where ever you are, I am older than you are, and I'll put money down I'd beat you now. (Guess I'd have to insist on a drug test.) Ha, ha.

John McEnroe clarified that he received steroids as painkillers, not as performance enhancers.
    Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM.

Geoff, While I never did care for McEnroe and his unsportsmanlike antics, I'd unfortunately have to say he is still playing very strongly and you wouldn't stand a chance against him...

Saw him playing on the Champions Tour recently...
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Probably true, but I would enjoy the challenge anyway! Maybe I could get in a Lendl clobbering on a pop up.

Comment

My best moment with a tour player was when I was 14. It was an event called the The Braniff Airways Doubles Championships, played at Earls Court. Nastase was playing with Sherwood Stewart. After the game, being a bit cheeky, I slipped past security and ran down a hallway shouting " Illie can I have your autograph". By this time security had caught up with me, but Illie strolled back, put his hand up to stop the guards, had a brief chat with me, signed his autograph, gave me a hug and went on his way.

Never forgot that moment. A real Jekyll and Hyde character was Nastase, but his nice side was really nice.
        Stotty

Comment

Wow. That's a cool story. Love reading these snips of pro meet.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3471 users online. 5 members and 3466 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X