A changing of the guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A changing of the guard?

So, did we see a changing of the guard? Was Rafa off or did Nole throw him off? Rome and Paris come up pretty quick. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rafa take a break until the French.

What do you animal lovers out there think?

don

I think Rafa is vulnerable in Madrid, due to the the high altitude, it favors a fast, attacking game - look at Belucci there. Federer beat Nadal there once.

Nole's test will be Roland Garros and then Wimbledon. Let's just wait and see...

Comment

I'm with Phil. If there is one clay court tournament Rafa is slightly vulnerable it's Madrid.

That aside, Djorkovic was outstanding. Hitting from side to side so powerfully and consistently must give him a chance anywhere. Rome and Paris will be so exciting if they both make the finals.
      Stotty

Comment

Nadal had 27 u e. The same as Joker. Joker had 10 more winners, and Nadal only won 36% of his second serves vs. 52%, and 58% of firsts vs 70%. 27 ue, in two sets? He looked like he was choking/fearful and missing many shots not normally missed. He plays with two mind sets: lull/no ues, and attack/greater depth/pace/spin, more weight into his shots. Joker had 11 bh winners, and Nadal: 1. The difference lay in second serve defense, winners, and break points: Nadal 3 of 6 vs. Joker: 5 of 12.

Joker's strategy of lulling him, and then attacking with the same prep/look, worked again. Nadal can't read when Joker will attack. Joker's ra: 51, and Nadal's ra: 70, too much power for altitude means too many ue, yet, Joker had 27 winners vs. 17. Why is that? He attacked more often with greater effect without making too many ues.

Joker uses vs team mains/alu power crosses, at 61.5/58.2lbs, vs 54/52lbs for Nadal, both using 100 sq. in frames, joker at 360g, Nadal at 334g, sw: Nadal at 352g and joker at 370g. Joker has more mass, higher sw, higher string tension, more powerful string vs rpm blast, softer more flexible frame. It is sort of convincing me to use more lull shots, to set up my opp. for the fewer higher grade attacking shots.
        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 05-08-2011, 08:24 PM.

Comment

After Nole's demolition of Soderling, have to admit he is really looking dangerous... Rafa is looking strong too... Looks like an interesting showdown...

Comment

Rafa will win.

Comment

Djokovic...meteoric

When will we see the new videos in order to appreciate the differences and the changes he has made to become so "meteoric" in the words of...oh, I forget who said it. His starting position is definitely different in his service motion which would indicate some change in his serve.

A big part of it is due to an improved service...he holds serve more easily and it allows him to be more aggressive on his opponents serve. Of course this is going to give him a huge boost in confidence. Söderling should of heeded the letter that I wrote to his father. He may of found himself in Djokovic's position. This was precisely my point about the importance of the service game...technique and tactics.

Robin is struggling against inferior opponents and Djokovic is blowing people away...lots of love sets. Pretty impressive.

Not exactly a changing of the guard in my book...but it is a good example regarding the lack of depth in the game today.
              Last edited by don_budge; 05-13-2011, 10:30 PM.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I don't like it either when pros ignore me. After all, I've been playing longer, have more knowledge, more experience, more matches than any of them.

Comment

Nole did it... won't have thought... congrats to him for fine play...

Comment

The one handed backhand is obsolete ?

Just watched the Rome match and noticed that whenever Rafa hit his big topspin forehand to the backhand the Joker stepped in on his two hander and ripped a flat cross court winner. What is a strong shot for Rafa against one handed guys like Federer has become a weakness against the Joker. Its really incredible how well he hits that shot.

Comment

Incredibly...

Boring.

At this point there is as much chance of the tennis world waking up...as the rest of the world. Slumber on.

Stats from the ATP site did not even include net points won percentage. Apparently it is not relevant...anymore.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 05-15-2011, 09:09 PM.
                      don_budge
                      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                        Nole did it... won't have thought... congrats to him for fine play...
                        seems like novak is "in the zone"
                        hope the pressure doesnt get to him
                        "the streak" AND "the french open"

as much as i admire federer id like to see novak beat rafa at roland garros to truly dethrone "the king of clay"

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                          Boring.

At this point there is as much chance of the tennis world waking up...as the rest of the world. Slumber on.

Stats from the ATP site did not even include net points won percentage. Apparently it is not relevant...anymore.
                          respectfully disagree
                          like chocolate and vanilla you( i guess not you personally) have to admire
                          the athleticism, talent, and skill it takes to rall like they do.
                          usually the tennis channell at the end of the match does show net winners and attempts

Comment

I watched Djokovic's matches, and was amazed at the exchanges with Murray and Nadal. I found it great and very athletic tennis. Much more so than the Stan Smith - Nastase clip I posted.

I have an old book called "Tennis Observed" by Bill Talbert, covering the USLTA champions, 1881-1966.
                            He has a final entry on Fred Stolle, the 1966 champion saying "Two rangy Australians traded powerful serves for two hours and 15 minutes, and neither showed any real ability to make return shots. Modern players have manged to duplicate much of the strength of the Gonzalez-type game, but somehow they have failed to gain the accuracy and versatility that went with it."
                            I remember some of those matches, which had practically no exchanges. That was not fun.

Comment

Don B, Your right. The all court game was the best. Guys like McEnroe, Conners, Gonzales, Laver, and even Federer at times used all the shots and their subtle changes in strategy made the game much more interesting and dramatic than just a mere exchange of speed and strength from the baseline. I just find Rafa to be a very likeable guy and I can't help but pull for him.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2577 users online. 4 members and 2573 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X