Thoughts about Tennis Tradition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    DB,I made a decision to drop all politics from the board. Last one pls.
    Somehow I think that is a mistake...but I could be wrong. What else is there in life nowadays...love in the time of Corona, politics and tennis? Golf maybe. But be that as it may I deleted the last post. The one about the media maybe be interpreted as political and If you deem so I would eliminate that one as well. While I am a feeling and functioning human being outside of the tennis world as well I am also an advocate for law and order. As opposed to anarchy. So without a problem or argument I respect your wishes...much as I respect you as a man and a tennis person.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
      DB,I made a decision to drop all politics from the board. Last one pls.
      As I have said twice now...I respect your wishes. Out of respect for you. I know that you and I may not share the same political point of view I don't take that in the least personal. I understand how destructive the political opposition has become in America. I hadn't been back in the USA for over ten years when I returned in 2015 in the lead up to the Presidential election of 2016 and I was completely shocked by what I found waiting for me. The country had completely transformed from the one that I left on New Year's 2004/2005.

I have written so many times about how tennis seems to have a life of its own in some rather odd or strange ways. Almost as if it is somehow mirroring or metaphoring life itself. Never has this been more clear to me and I find this parallel universe incredibly fascinating. In these days of a "supposed" pandemic and political explosive times tennis has somehow taken on a different look as well. Never before have we seen a spectacle like the one we are currently witnessing. To me it almost looks like the death of tennis. Society seems to have lost its will to survive as it has been exhausted of all of the illusions of happiness that it used to offer. We have found that all it takes to upset the apple cart is a tiny microscopic entity that may or may not exist. Believe it or not...there is no shortage of people that think that this is a complete scam.

Although I write at times as if it is a scam I cannot be all to sure of that myself. But I believe in a healthy skeptical attitude and not going to go crawling into my basement to finish out my days. I would rather die on my feet...preferably playing golf or maybe even some rather lame tennis. So I have my doubts...as much as I do about tennis. By the way...tremendous kudos to you John for maintaining a level of consistency in the monthly offering of tennisplayer.net. I don't think the website has lost a bit of quality since the trouble began. But the forum has and let me be perfectly honest here. What we are seeing now is a two man discussion about the events being played between stroke and spotty with both of them falling over each to agree with each other. As much as I like and respect stroke...I find this very boring. The last nail in the coffin has been the fact that Roger Federer has mysteriously disappeared for one more go to transform himself for his final curtain call at the Australian Open. I don't know if he has the impetus to make it to Wimbledon. The clock is ticking...the act is drawing to a close.

So what is left? It looks to me as if it is coming to something very base in the human saga. It looks to me as if it is coming down to a scene where it all boils down to survival and if that is the case...so be it. God's will be done. But at the same time it is worth recording the events that transpire and this cozy little corner of the universe doesn't see the amount of infernal traffic that one sees in other parts of the universe nowadays. The internet is rife with opinions. The airwaves are competing against and with each other. The drone of the voice of human existence in the background. But here we have our space...tennisplayer.net.

If I don't agree with your decision with regard to political discussion I can certainly understand it. The last go around got a bit ugly. Some of the words that were used were extremely provocative and demeaning. So there you go. I have never said this before...my two cents. Long live this website and long live tennis. One of the last things to go amongst humans as they relate to each other is any semblance of respect when they do not "agree" with each other. That won't happen with me. I don't think it is because I don't care...but I realise that we are running out of time. Just as the sport of tennis seems to be doing. Running on fumes.

don_budge

Comment

• But most of all...thanks John. Thanks for everything. Would love to meet you someday.
        don_budge

Comment

• Tiger Woods...nobody is going to outwork me.

"It was a crappy day for golf. It was windy, chilly and drizzling...one day long ago. A young Tiger Woods stood alone on the driving range tee of some unknown golf course pounding monstrous drives and he paused and thought to himself, "Nobody is going to outwork me! I hope my competition is home, warm and comfortable, watching TV and playing computer games." He wore a hardened, resolute look on his face as he confidently strode to the putting green to resume practicing the delicate art of scoring, it was tedious work, chipping and putting...in the in-climate, shitty weather. He was hungry, tired and cold. He was, however, on a mission." -don_budge

I made this up…but it could have been.

The weather has taken a turn. The season is probably over in all forms. I persevered to the very end and now transition from the golf course and practice range to the exercise program. Nobody will outwork me.
          don_budge

Comment

• Sunny and 42 Fahrenheit...one more shot!

Well the weather being what it is...fickle like all of my ex-girlfriends. Married twice now and divorced 17 times. But anyways...had a nice chat with an older Swedish fellow who just happened to walk by the range where I was the only one practicing. Like it has been for the last four weeks since the course closed for regular play. I collected approximately 60 range balls a few weeks ago in a bucket. So I find a dry area out on the range...when I say dry it isn't really dry. It is just less wet. The area is long enough where I can hit pitching wedges, 9 and 8 irons. Forty of fifty swings. I take a dozen ProV1's (Titleist golf ball) and hit them in one direction, go collect them and hit them back again. Repeat two or three times. But the balls that I collected on the range I put in a bucket and go back to the tees on the range where there are some mats still outside to hit off of. I hit these balls with my driver or 3-wood after I am done with the irons. I hit them all out into a area in the range that is dry enough to go and collect them next time I go to the club. Get it? I am not sure if I have captured the picture. The point is...I think like Tiger Woods. The competition is done with the golf for the winter. I am still trying to iron out the friction in the swing.

A superb explanation of the left arm. Arm against the ped muscle...figure 7...rolling the left arm over. I worked it out for several days in the living room while my wife protested against me swinging in the house. Took the ideas out to the range. Very, very interesting results. It's not like you can go and play indoor golf although I understand that there is some new facility where you can actually play against a screen with a computer generated course in town. I am going to check it out.
            don_budge

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              Sunny and 42 Fahrenheit...one more shot!

Well the weather being what it is...fickle like all of my ex-girlfriends. Married twice now and divorced 17 times. But anyways...had a nice chat with an older Swedish fellow who just happened to walk by the range where I was the only one practicing. Like it has been for the last four weeks since the course closed for regular play. I collected approximately 60 range balls a few weeks ago in a bucket. So I find a dry area out on the range...when I say dry it isn't really dry. It is just less wet. The area is long enough where I can hit pitching wedges, 9 and 8 irons. Forty of fifty swings. I take a dozen ProV1's (Titleist golf ball) and hit them in one direction, go collect them and hit them back again. Repeat two or three times. But the balls that I collected on the range I put in a bucket and go back to the tees on the range where there are some mats still outside to hit off of. I hit these balls with my driver or 3-wood after I am done with the irons. I hit them all out into a area in the range that is dry enough to go and collect them next time I go to the club. Get it? I am not sure if I have captured the picture. The point is...I think like Tiger Woods. The competition is done with the golf for the winter. I am still trying to iron out the friction in the swing.

A superb explanation of the left arm. Arm against the ped muscle...figure 7...rolling the left arm over. I worked it out for several days in the living room while my wife protested against me swinging in the house. Took the ideas out to the range. Very, very interesting results. It's not like you can go and play indoor golf although I understand that there is some new facility where you can actually play against a screen with a computer generated course in town. I am going to check it out.
              Ah...so simple. Using the left arm as a left handed backhand. Gee...I can do that. The right side is hitting a right handed forehand...or throwing underhanded. Gee...I can do that too. It's an easy game! Not! This idea of the figure seven is a very good one for a tennis backhand thought. Anybody? Nobody? Very few survivors left on the forum these days. That's ok. Last one out please shut out the light.
              don_budge

Comment

• I wrote a post on my high school website. 50 year reunion hanging in the balance. 2022...I wonder where the world will be in 2022.

You guys have heard it all before. Here's another angle in the workings of the mind of don_budge. Begin transmission below:

I believe that tennis and golf are God's gift to mankind in terms of recreation. It is no coincidence that these two endeavours have been big pursuits of mine in my quest for perfection on this earthly plane. On certain given days I can honestly say that I was perfect. I played to my true potential. I reached that level in tennis more often than I did in golf as I took my first golf lesson at the Dearborn Country Club at the ripe old age of forty. Try being perfect without the guns of youth behind you. It is my greatest challenge...in sports.

The ripe old age of forty. Somehow I became obsessed with that Fyodor Dostoyevsky quote from his epic novel called "The Devils". Truly his greatest work. People tell me that they have read "Crime and Punishment" or "The Brothers Karamazov" and I think to myself, Dostoyevsky wannabe. Read "The Devils" or "The Possessed" or "The Demons" depending upon the translation. One of the main characters gets a chapter in the book devoted to his experience with his sense of the Devil's presence. But the quote, ah yes, the quote. I digress, per usual.

"The second half of a mans life is made up of nothing but the habits he has acquired during the first half."- Fyodor Dostoyevsky

If you consider that the lucky man, or woman, might life to the ripe old age of forty...at forty you are in the locker room of life. Considering a strategy for the second half. After reflecting on the first half. What's the score? I know the score...trust me. I spent a lifetime exploring that question, what is the score? It's a good question. Don't you think so? But anyways, the point is, there is always a point although most of the time cleverly disguised, I quit tennis and put it in the rear view mirror and began to pursue golf at the precise moment that the worm turned from the first half of life to the second. In hindsight, I think that was pretty clever of me. Although perhaps it wasn't so conscious. Or was it? Coincidence or chance? Destiny or a crap shoot? Fate or chaos?

But here's my point, if I really have one and I am not just putting on airs, God's gift to mankind in terms of recreation. Tennis and golf are disciplines. Esoteric arts as it is. Esoteric as in, intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest. That's me. The earth is a ball. A ball in the game. In the game of Life. The only game where the object of the game is to learn the rules. Am I making any sense at all? This is one of the easier subjects that I am going to address, by the way. The one below..."The Shaman's Doorway" is next up. That is going to be a bit more complicated.

In or around 1976 I read in "Psychology Today" a psychological profile of the two games. Hang on to your seats. Your hats. This is serious stuff. Tennis is a game where the two opponents are symbolically trying to castrate each other. The racquets represent rapiers and the balls represent the players testicles and the two go at it as if they are trying to disengage each other from their balls. Ouch! And it is true. The higher you go in the game the truer this becomes. I can tell you. From the time you introduce yourself at the beginning of the match, and we used to ironically start it off with a handshake before we got down to the dirty business of trying to "castrate" each other. You get a whiff of your opponent and you are already sizing him up. Assessing with every sense in your being at your disposal...where is his weaknesses that you will endeavour to exploit him at every given opportunity. Where can I nick away at him. Drawing some blood. Weakening his resistance. Where are the strengths where you must respect him but not be afraid of attacking as well. He is bound to get some shots in that you must absorb. Stemming the flow. It's pretty damn visceral, I can attest to that. I remember feeling really good after a match if I could say to myself...I made him wish his mother never had him. Maybe it was Jimmy Connors that said that. I cannot remember. Looking back I think it pretty amusing, pretty funny, that I had such a good time all my life pursuing this game to perfection. Serious stuff. Lessons to be learned. Enough said. It wasn't always pretty.

Golf is an entirely different matter. According to "Psychology Today" back in the day of 1976, when there actually were magazines...golf is a game where the contestant is trying to avoid committing suicide. Man against the golf course. What a paradox. No opponent. Just an obstacle course with a little hole at the end. Being so fortunate as to being a student of both art forms and a teacher as well, I cannot help but admire the irony and the diversity of both games as well as their similarities. When teaching either, I always point out to the student the attributes of the other game. I like to say that tennis is...golf on the run. But this business of trying to avoid committing suicide is just downright diabolical. Coincidentally, several of the characters in "The Devils" either commit suicide or contemplate it and the ramifications of it. But as any golfer knows, you have to play all eighteen holes. It's a journey much as life is. I found that I was very aware of this suicide notion and I am glad that I was forty when I started to embark on the path to "avoid committing suicide" as it may just make for a gentler landing in the end. At the end of the night. Plus, there is no telling how I would have reacted when I was younger and full of notions of perfection. The anger. I digress again...fooey.

So as you progress in the game, you might just string a few pars in a row and think to yourself, "boy, isn't this great?" Well, no sooner does that little thought enter your noodle, you find yourself quadruple bogeying the next hole. Quickly the blood begins to boil. Ok...you start again. Over and over you fail, until one day you reach hole number ten and you are even par after nine. Half way home. Guess what...a triple bogey followed by a train of bogeys. The dreaded bogey train. Once more...derailed. Sitting in your car after the end of the aborted mission on the golf course, the thoughts start to drift to the barn and the rafter where you get a rope and...you get the picture. Ah...getting closer though. So thirty rounds down the road you are standing on the tee at seventeen at one under par and you are thinking fatal thoughts. You cannot help yourself. You are human and it is the human condition. If I can just make two pars in a row I am in at one under. My God...guess what. Bogey...bogey. Fuck! The elusive even par round is tantalisingly just out of reach. You can almost taste it. You get the picture. Golf is like that. Sure it is.

So just a couple of more things. Regards the letter of recommendation that is the subject of this little story. It is dated post summer of '73. I spent two summers at the Don Budge Tennis Camp and as a result the man himself, Don Budge, blessed me with this momento of my checkered past. I'm laughing at myself. A glorious experience to be in the company of such a profound and great gentleman. Mr. Budge was the first man to win the "Grand Slam" of tennis. Winning the four major titles in 1937 at the U. S. Open, Wimbledon, the French Open and the Australian Open. I believe that he actually traveled by boat to accomplish this. A beautiful man, every day he came dressed in all white tennis clothes looking like some immaculate blast out of the past and you never would have thought him capable, from observing him, that he might be capable of castrating a fellow human being. You never know what lurks below. That's all I can say. My alter ego just happens to be don_budge and he is a prolific writer of tennis and other things on the website tennisplayer.net. I will never forget Don Budge and how kind he was to the somewhat wild kid from Dearborn, Michigan. He took me under his wing. Taught me to fly.

One last thing. It's always one last thing isn't it, that somehow turns into two or three or who knows how many last things. What does GOLF mean? You are just going to absolutely love this little pearl. GOLF means...it's an acronym. It means...Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. It's a very old Scottish game and women were not allowed in the clubhouse for a very long time. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a golf course that still abides to this sort of thing. What's the harm? Boys just want to have fun! Commence fire but just remember. I am only the messenger.
                don_budge

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  don_budge

Comment

• Wow, that's one hell of a recommendation. You had my respect anyway, but I'm still impressed.

Comment

• Tennis....Cerebral Gladiators. Golf.....”No Exit”

Comment

• Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                        Wow, that's one hell of a recommendation. You had my respect anyway, but I'm still impressed.
                        Thank you GG. I wouldn't trade this simple letter of recommendation for all of the USPTA certifications in the world. If you only imagine the fun and experience I had in the two summers I spent in the presence of this magnificent human being. I ate breakfast with him at times. Lunch as well. He took the entire staff to a sea food restaurant where I sat next to him where he told me the story of his other worldly match against Gottfried Von Cramm. Falling face flat on match point after he hit a winning forehand that he never saw land.

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
                        Tennis....Cerebral Gladiators. Golf.....”No Exit”
                        Thank you doctorhi. Imagine golf being even more cerebral than tennis. All the time in between shots to think and ponder your decision for the next shot. But such is the beauty of both sports that they test the individual on physical, intellectual, mental, psychological and emotional levels. Toss in a Spiritual level too.

God's gift to mankind in terms of recreation. I see tennis in the realm of the finite. Those spiritual lines. The metaphysical design of the court. From an airplane up above these lines will never change in all the world. To fly over and looking down to spot a group of eight courts your mind starts to wander imagining all of the games being played out below. But those lines. The ultimate line of demarcation. Outside the lines it is out...inside or only partially on the line, it's in. The moral ramifications are huge.

When looking down at a golf course you realise that nowhere in the world is there a golf course that is identical to another one. This is the realm of the infinite. There are no lines on a golf course such as those on a tennis court. Sure there are out of bounds. But there is a obstacle course built into the design. The player plays against the course from the tee to a distant hole in the ground. Anything can happen in between. One begins to think about luck and fate. Coincidence and destiny on new planes.

Ah...in the Kingdoms of Golf and Tennis there lie many a great champion and even more disappointments and dreams crushed. Such is life...is it not?
                        don_budge

Comment

• The Spirit of Christmas is Upon Us...

"'Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.' For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son" John 3:14-18

Christmas Day 2020. What an incredible day. Time to reflect on a year that is unparalleled to those of us living on the planet. Not to be overly dramatic because historically, maybe it wasn't such a big deal. Maybe more like "much ado about nothing". After all...there have been real plagues that have wiped out significant populations. I know this one is not over yet but so far there are at least two sides of this argument. There have been years where wars have decimated entire populations. So what is the big deal about 2020? What happened that was so horrible? People die...we come and we go. That's a thing that I know.

So much has been made of the Coronavirus. Covid-19 they call it. Do you realise that the death rates of both the United States and Sweden have actually gone down from the previous year? It seems incongruent with the fear porn that has been pushed all year long. People die. Seven thousand a day in the United States. Four hundred a day in New York City alone. It is a fact of life...no one here gets out alive. Maybe in the next year we will get some level of understanding out of this experience. Maybe when it is all said and done the numbers will begin to make some sense. The statistics. The devil is in the numbers.

God gave his only Son. His perfect Son. I have been thinking deeply on that lately. PERFECT. Perfect is perfect. It is even hard to fathom. If Jesus had chosen to be a golfer he would score 18 and any golf course in the world. A hole in one on every shot. That is perfect in the world of golf. It's hard to imagine. If Jesus had chosen to be a tennis player he would beat Roger Federer any day of the week and twice on Sunday 6-0, 6-0, 6-0. Golden sets all. Not a single point to Roger. Not only that...but aces on every single serve. Serve return winners on every single Federer serve. That is perfect.

Perfection. In the human form. Never rude. Never impatient. Always kind. Never greedy. Always generous. Never impatient. Always loving. Perfect...it goes on and on. Infinitely perfect. He came for one purpose only. To save the world. The more I think of it, the more it boggles my mind. The more I think of it, the more I realise how far from perfection I am and how futile my efforts have been. I can only think of one thing to say in response...Thank you Lord. Thank you for your Son. Forgive me.

Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you! God Bless you all. Thank you Lord.
                          don_budge

Comment

• As midnight rolls over the planet in a stealth of darkness. As the journey to the end of the night becomes the end of a year. The year was 2020...soon to be in the rearview. Get ready for 2021 as the previous year has not shot its load yet. There is undoubtably more to come. Can you fathom what it will be?

My resolution is the same year in and year out. Stay in motion. Keep moving whenever possible. Exhaust the day and do my best. This will be the year I shoot my age...in golf. Sixty-seven.

Thank you Lord for all of your blessings. Thank you for your Perfect Son. Forgive me.

Happy New Year!
                            don_budge

Comment

• Best of luck to everyone in 2021! I have a feeling we are going to need it. Two days in and how's it feel. A bit iffy?
                              don_budge

Comment

• Thanks don_budge! Happy New Year to you too.

After watching some of the beautiful videos recently posted in another thread, I'm resolving to play a little bit more like I learnt to in the '80s and to hell with the consequences.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4942 users online. 6 members and 4936 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X