My backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My backhand

My backhand uses a pretty much a wester grip that i hold with the racquet face more or less open ( the face is in the same place as if i used the normal grip) and i step across so it is not the neutral stance it is like a closed on and there is about a foot in betweenwhere my feet are. Is this detrimental to my game, should i try and change it?

Well, let's start with an obvious question, one hand or (probably) two??

Comment

Sorry about that , i told you everything apart from the obvious. Its one hand all the way.

Comment

It's too hard to visualize from this description. But you don't want a western grip with either hand--not sure which one you are referring to. The closed stance can be OK--top players use it a lot. BUT it depends on the rest of the stroke.

What we need here is some video? Why don't you send some in?

Comment

The part I don't understand is why do you hold a western grip BUT have the racket face open ? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Closed stance backhands can be detrimental on the very high ball if you wish to attack, most of the time you will have to play a slice ball from this position. Stepping into the shot is more beneficial if the ball is shorter and you can get on the attack.

I would suggest to you to be using a more neutral or maybe even open stance, so that you can generate a better variety of shots and spins, and keep attacking the ball also.

Anthony

Comment

Originally posted by federer_nadal
            My backhand uses a pretty much a wester grip that i hold with the racquet face more or less open ( the face is in the same place as if i used the normal grip) and i step across so it is not the neutral stance it is like a closed on and there is about a foot in betweenwhere my feet are. Is this detrimental to my game, should i try and change it?
            For a onehanded backhand the closed stance is not detrimental. The problem with most club level players is their inability to control sideways momentum with their closed stance. This can lead to an overrotation effect (or pulling) that will cause the racket path to go off course.

Even with a closed stance you still need to get your weight going into the path of the ball.

For the Western grip, you must be referring to an Full eastern backhand grip. This places the base knuckle of the index finger on the top panel. That is fine, but most good onehanders lead with the top edge of the racket towards the ball in the forward swing. You should take a look at the racket position for Tommy Haas on this site for more visual information.

With a full eastern grip and an open face you are asking for trouble because with this grip you need to hit more out in front so the racket head can square on the ball and that can lead to balls going high and long.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2637 users online. 8 members and 2629 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X