Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut Taylor a little slack

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    I am not saying he is doing anything wrong...

The tennis community is, they say.....
    - keep balanced - he isn't
    - enter with left foot and kick back with the right foot - he isn't
    - high elbow on the take back - doesn't look like it to me
    - lift off at impact - he is grounded
    etc
    First of all, I don't know if you guys realize this, but Taylor retired from competitive tennis a few years back because he had to have major back surgery. After that, he would have been fortunate to play just recreational tennis. When he was immobilized recovering from that surgery for a number of months, he put on a massive amount of weight, over 50 lbs. When he first came on the tour as a teenager he was the picture of fitness, but the word was that he really didn't like the serious training he had been put through since pre-teen years. He didn't want to do the necessary work to develop the defensive skills to go with his terrific offensive game. He just didn't want to run around on the baseline. I think that kept him from achieving the kind of success he was capable of when he was younger and healthier.

He decided to try to mount a comeback which included losing a lot of weight and getting fit and then fighting his way back through qualifyings to get into the top echelon of the game again. While he didn't make it all the way back to where he was before he had to have the back surgery, he did become a factor and a legitimate threat to almost anyone on a hard or grass court. That picture of his gut sticking out, hair flying, etc is not very flattering and a little unfair in light of what he accomplished. I, for one, enjoyed watching him play and show that it was possible to be successful serving and volleying or chipping and charging. Just think if the right athlete tried to add those skills to a fully developed game, where he didn't have to rely on that strategy every point, but simply used it as part of an overall game plan, maybe 30% or 40% of the time. But it would have to be someone who trained those skills along with the rest of the game for his entire career all the way through juniors. Tough.

As for the serve,
    1. balance is dynamic. He is exquisitely balanced. Watch a few of the clips on his serve, particularly from the rear, and watch where his feet land. Notice the consistency, not to mention the progress into the court with just 2 steps. I used to practice my serve a lot when I was a kid. But those first 2 steps and split were part of the practice (once I learned the basic motion). It wasn't just hitting the serve, it was also how far I could go in those 2 steps...

2. that's why you don't see the kick back with the right leg. As d_b said, Taylor is worried about going forward. And btw, Phil, look at Gonzales' serve. You won't see any kickback there either. He's going to the net too! As for entering with the left foot, he does have the modern move with his left foot as he lifts off and the left foot lands a good foot into the court after impact.

3. who told you the elbow had to be high on take back. Go 6 or 7 clicks back from impact in the clip of Taylor at the start of this thread and you will see a perfect trophy position with his elbow right in line with the line of his shoulders. And in fact, your elbow really shouldn't go any higher than that before you swing up to the ball

4. lift off. He definitely has lift off, but at 200 lbs plus, he is not going to go very far off the ground. But he is definitely exploding up into the ball.

Also, I have a specific question on this point. If all that energy is going into lifting the players' body off the ground, that energy can't be transferred to the ball; it's already used up. Maybe that's one reason Vic is so adamant about staying on the ground.

Taylor's serve is definitely a violent motion, but don't discount the raw beauty of it because of a little flab leaking out over his shorts. Put some better music to his serve and slow it down a little bit and I bet it will look downright artistic. No way he generates that 148 without an essentially efficient and therefore ultimately beautiful motion. No, he doesn't float like a Nastase or even a Rafter, not even like a Smith, but I wonder if he doesn't get forward almost as quick as Stan and maybe even quicker.

don

Comment

Thanks Phil...

Don,
      All I mean to say, is that here we are in 2011 and the mysteries of the tennis serve still remain...
      And me... I just love the Gonzales serve...
      So many of the threads that I find interesting are initiated by you and I really appreciate that fact. Yesterday, after trading posts with you in the morning here I went to the club and had a great teaching day. I was on my game. The little back and forth between us really put me in the mood. I was an aggressive and understanding teacher. I got my points across.

Judging from everything I have seen about you, from your videos, your frame by frame shots, your admiration for the Gonzales motion, your respect for the game and its tradition and your artwork there is no reason for there to be any remaining mystery about the serve. Except for one. You have not come across the person who will take the time to make the effort to walk you through it step by step. Currently you have all of the necessary prerequisites in your possession. You have the "inner Gonzales". It only needs to emerge...from within.

Like the golf swing, the tennis serve is a very challenging endeavor and remains the most difficult stroke to teach in tennis today. This is why there are so few really beautiful motions in the game today...if any. The real beauty is on his way out. The golf swing is a mystery to most as well. That is because most golfers would rather spend their hard earned bucks on new and shiny equipment than on lessons from a qualified guru to show them the way. Plus it is harder work than buying new equipment.

Your dilemma is an interesting one. Because of your ability to approach things in an engineering mode and in an artistic fashion, I believe you have some kind of internal glitch that is putting a bit of a karmic block in your chi...or something like that. You are internally incapable of deciding, or making up your mind, or making up your soul...about how to approach the serve for the final product. Engineer or artist? Undoubtably you serve adequately for your needs, but you aspire for something that is more sublime.

There are no mysteries about the serve...or the golf swing for that matter. There is only you and I...and the rest of the herd. It is amazing how in 2011...people still remain a mystery to themselves. Individually and as a race.

Don...really well played. Impressive. I enjoyed reading your post and I think it is the best that I have read by you to this point. I hope we have gotten you started. This game is not all nuts and bolts. It's not just blasting away. It's an art...at least it used to be. It's in the mind. It's in the heart. It's in the soul. At least that is the way it was designed to be...the way it was designed to evolve.
      Last edited by don_budge; 05-21-2011, 09:19 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thanks Steve....

What I personally have always striven for is the artistic approach. Been fascinated by the beauty of the serve, hence, for me, the Pancho Gonzales serve. Maybe, as you say, the technical approach at times gets in the way...

Problem for me has always been to find a good coach. Never found one in Switzerland that was good for the serve. For groundstrokes, yes. For the serve, no. Even though this is the country of Roger Federer, the level of tennis teachers here is abysmal. They lack passion. The ex-ATP challenger player from Argentina I sometimes work out with, is great for groundstrokes, but keeps telling me my serve is just fine. Which it isn't. Pretty frustrating.

And here I am, with time slowly running out, still pursuing the fata morgana of the beautiful serve motion...

Comment

Wanna bet?

"Maybe, as you say, the technical approach at times gets in the way..."

If I were a betting man...and I am only if I am assured a win...I would bet it is the other way around. The artistic aspirations compel you to continue the quest but the uncertainty of reliable technique derail you from achieving it.

And let's not think about the time that is running out...let's focus on the time that is beginning. You see bot...half full or half empty?
          Last edited by don_budge; 05-21-2011, 09:33 PM.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
            "Maybe, as you say, the technical approach at times gets in the way..."

If I were a betting man...and I am only if I am assured a win...I would bet it is the other way around. The artistic aspirations compel you to continue the quest but the uncertainty of reliable technique derail you from achieving it.

And let's not think about the time that is running out...let's focus on the time that is beginning. You see bot...half full or half empty?
            Actually, the ratio is not 50-50, it is more like 20-80....

But don't worry, I'm positive and work out everyday... just did 40 minutes of weights and pushups and am now going to swim, and crawl for 30 minutes... No, tennis though... my wife forbids it on Sunday...

Comment

look at the cartwheel and racquet drop
              the "money" part of the serve looks pretty good

Comment

Which shows you don't need all the rest...

Comment

Which shows you don't need all the rest...
                  if you can get there.
                  if not
                  all the rest is a roadmap showing the best route
                  phil id suggest you follow the map
                  (me too)

Comment

Well... when you can sling it 148, there are alot of things being done right. I just find his footwork a bit peculiar.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9023 users online. 11 members and 9012 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X